Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1986 Bronco w/ 4.9 straight six engine, I have a few questions:

Should I work with the 4.9 or switch engines? I have a friend who works at a speed shop and he could either build up the 4.9 or build me a 351W, is the 4.9 a good engine? would my 4 speed manual mount up to a 351?

Also I don't have the money to buy a big lift right now but I was gonna buy some 31 inch boggers, would these fit maybe with a little fender trimming if needed?

What is the biggest lift I could put on and not have to worry about upgrading my driveshaft or having driveability problems?

Thanks for the help!!!!! :)

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
read the sticky on the top of the thread and keep the 300

·
Registered
961 Posts
First off the engine is all preference. If you like the slightly better milage from the 4.9 keep it. Let me tell you the 5.8, even stock has alot more power than you would believe. Mine has 600 miles on it and runs like a champ. I plan on doing the ignition upgrade some time before the end of May. The question about the trans all depends on what trans, I don't know if it will or not, but the guys on this website are incredible and should be able to help if you give them specifics.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Gettin2ndgear said:
Also I don't have the money to buy a big lift right now but I was gonna buy some 31 inch boggers, would these fit maybe with a little fender trimming if needed?
31'S will fit with no fender trimming, may rub JUST A LITTLE at full lock

Gettin2ndgear said:
What is the biggest lift I could put on and not have to worry about upgrading my driveshaft or having driveability problems?
6"... when you do, go suspension, not body (my preference, but a lot of guys run either full body, or combination)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
4.9s use the same SBF pattern that 289/302/351s use, Idk about the flywheels. There have been a lot of threads about the inline-6 vs. bent-8 fights with a couple good ones here than there. A short search will yield some very good results there.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
i would get the 351w built, it will be cheaper and make more power....

that being said, i LOVE the 4.9L too, you can't kill that motor, just more expensive to make power with it

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
like chevysuck said, the engine is all personal preference. i like both engines. the 300 has awesome torque and th e351 has good all around power. theres probably more upgrades for the 351 than there is for the 300. if i had to choose i would go with the 351.

31" tires shouldnt rub at all. if they do it will be like what ghostrider said, at full lock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.