Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the whole truck stuff and have never work on or owned one before. I have been lurking around for a while and trying to find the answers by searching but since I don’t really know all the terminology, I am having a hard time finding the info I need.

I am currently trying to do change all fluids and do some preventive maintenance to the vehicle but I need a little info. I have the Haynes manual for it but I guess I need to know what a few things are before I can get the right type and amounts of fluids I need.

So far for maintenance, I have changed the plugs & wires, cap & rotor, flushed the cooling system, changed the fuel filter. I still need to change the fluid in the tranny, transfer case, and differentials.


These might seem like dumb questions, but I honestly have no clue, so help a newbie, please.

The vehicle is a '91 Bronco XLT with a 351w and E40D tranny.

I would like to know:

1. What transfer case do I have or how do I Identify it?

2. What rear axle do I have or how do I identify it?

3. What front axle do I have or how do I identify it?

4. Does anyone know the measurements of the stock transmission cooler?

5. Is there anything else maintenance wise, that I should change/check while I am at it?

Thanks in advance.
:beer
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
13,696 Posts
RancorX said:
The vehicle is a '91 Bronco XLT with a 351w and E40D tranny.

I would like to know:

1. What transfer case do I have or how do I Identify it?

2. What rear axle do I have or how do I identify it?

3. What front axle do I have or how do I identify it?

4. Does anyone know the measurements of the stock transmission cooler?

5. Is there anything else maintenance wise, that I should change/check while I am at it?

Thanks in advance.
:beer
There is a sticker on your door that will tell you all of this. Driver's side.

If i were a gambling man i would say there is a BW1356 mated to the E4OD. For some reason i am having brain block when it comes to the axles.

I would change the differential fluids, and i would definitely flush the transmission more than once if the previous owner wasn't very good at maintenance.

Edit: Welcome to the club by the way. Introduce yourself in the introduction area, and the chapter that you fall into. Might not be a bad idea to list your information under your name <~~~~~over there like i did.
 

·
President, Mels fan club.
Joined
·
6,904 Posts
RancorX said:
Hello everyone, I am new to the whole truck stuff and have never work on or owned one before. I have been lurking around for a while and trying to find the answers by searching but since I don’t really know all the terminology, I am having a hard time finding the info I need.

I am currently trying to do change all fluids and do some preventive maintenance to the vehicle but I need a little info. I have the Haynes manual for it but I guess I need to know what a few things are before I can get the right type and amounts of fluids I need.

So far for maintenance, I have changed the plugs & wires, cap & rotor, flushed the cooling system, changed the fuel filter. I still need to change the fluid in the tranny, transfer case, and differentials.


These might seem like dumb questions, but I honestly have no clue, so help a newbie, please.

The vehicle is a '91 Bronco XLT with a 351w and E40D tranny.

I would like to know:

1. What transfer case do I have or how do I Identify it?

2. What rear axle do I have or how do I identify it?

3. What front axle do I have or how do I identify it?

4. Does anyone know the measurements of the stock transmission cooler?

5. Is there anything else maintenance wise, that I should change/check while I am at it?

Thanks in advance.
:beer
:twak
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Welcome to Bronco World. lol. Don't get discouraged. Alot of folks get rude if you don't use the search function first. I'm assuming you want to get into wheeling with that in mind I'll give you these nuggets of information.
Get yourself a basic set of tools if you don't have any already, make a way of securing them when on the trail.
A booney box is helpfull. Recovery equipment, spare fluids, means of collecting old ones, on the trail patch adhesives, radiator stop leak, common parts that can go out are good things to have.
Wheel what you brung at first. Find someone to go with and enjoy your new truck. Take it slow and learn how to pick your lines. You will be surprised how much ability the truck has in stock form. Remember than the more offroad savy you make your truck the more the on road manners decrease most of the time.
Buy a Haynes or Chiltons manual. these will be most helpfull.
Bring a shovel.
A highlift jack is nice too.
If you ever have any questions you think I can help you with don't hesitate to PM me. I check in here almost daily. If you stick with this hobby expect to find great outdoor enjoyment and hours and hours of fun wrenching and wheeling on your machine. Be warned: It's highly addictive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BigNorm said:
Welcome to Bronco World. lol. Don't get discouraged. Alot of folks get rude if you don't use the search function first. I'm assuming you want to get into wheeling with that in mind I'll give you these nuggets of information.
Get yourself a basic set of tools if you don't have any already, make a way of securing them when on the trail.
A booney box is helpfull. Recovery equipment, spare fluids, means of collecting old ones, on the trail patch adhesives, radiator stop leak, common parts that can go out are good things to have.
Wheel what you brung at first. Find someone to go with and enjoy your new truck. Take it slow and learn how to pick your lines. You will be surprised how much ability the truck has in stock form. Remember than the more offroad savy you make your truck the more the on road manners decrease most of the time.
Buy a Haynes or Chiltons manual. these will be most helpfull.
Bring a shovel.
A highlift jack is nice too.
If you ever have any questions you think I can help you with don't hesitate to PM me. I check in here almost daily. If you stick with this hobby expect to find great outdoor enjoyment and hours and hours of fun wrenching and wheeling on your machine. Be warned: It's highly addictive.

Thanks for the advice, I need to get a bunch of stuff for the off roading. I do have a Haynes manual and a ton of tools. I an quite handy with a wrench and have done a lot of work on Honda's and BMW's just never had a truck.

I thank eveyone that has give constuctive information here, thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Post the axle code thats on the sticker of information in the door jamb. Someone will respond to you regarding the gear ratio.
 

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
RancorX said:
1. What transfer case do I have or how do I Identify it?
Most likely a BW1356.

RancorX said:
2. What rear axle do I have or how do I identify it?
Most likely a Ford 8.8

RancorX said:
3. What front axle do I have or how do I identify it?
If it's stock, then a Dana 44.

RancorX said:
4. Does anyone know the measurements of the stock transmission cooler?
I think the stock cooler is something like 11"x7"x1.5" stacked plate.

RancorX said:
5. Is there anything else maintenance wise, that I should change/check while I am at it?
If you have the autolocking hubs - ditch'em like a bad habit. Get either Warn Premium or some MileMarkers. There are some really good writeups in the "Tech Write ups - Installs" forum. Also, if you don't already have the transmission cooler, buy the largest one you can find and install it yesterday. Also get a remote transmission filter (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=permacool&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp&x=0&y=0 or search for the username "Sixlitre" on this site.)

RancorX said:
Thanks in advance.
:beer
Welcome to the addiction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
RancorX said:
Thanks for the advice, I need to get a bunch of stuff for the off roading. I do have a Haynes manual and a ton of tools. I an quite handy with a wrench and have done a lot of work on Honda's and BMW's just never had a truck.

I thank eveyone that has give constuctive information here, thanks again
Cool. You'll be up to speed in no time then. When I started this hobby/obsession I thought all there was to putting bigger tires on was to lift the vehicle and bolt on the wheels. While you can do that it's the path to big breakage. Like I said earlier. Take a chance to browse around. There's a ton of info here. Don't forget to vote for Fullsize of the Year. :toothless
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
13,696 Posts
BigNorm said:
Cool. You'll be up to speed in no time then. When I started this hobby/obsession I thought all there was to putting bigger tires on was to lift the vehicle and bolt on the wheels. While you can do that it's the path to big breakage. Like I said earlier. Take a chance to browse around. There's a ton of info here. Don't forget to vote for Fullsize of the Year. :toothless
Nothin' like kissin ass for a vote huh Norm? (just kidding):beer

Norm has a very functional off road vehicle. Not all of us have the need for intense offroad vehicles. Mine sees limited offroad use, it's mostly a pavement princess. There is information galore here, and people willing to help ya out.

<~~~My AIM/ICQ/E-mail information is over there, feel free to use it, others have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
Nothin' like kissin ass for a vote huh Norm? (just kidding):beer

Norm has a very functional off road vehicle. Not all of us have the need for intense offroad vehicles. Mine sees limited offroad use, it's mostly a pavement princess. There is information galore here, and people willing to help ya out.

<~~~My AIM/ICQ/E-mail information is over there, feel free to use it, others have.
Whatever do you mean?

Thanx for the cudos. I believe very few people actually NEED a huge truck. I don't even think mines that big yet. Truth be told I could do 90 percent of what I wanted to get done with my TTB, 9" with Detroit, 4" lift on 33s. It worked great. But not so great when I played on the slab on the con. I want to conquer that last 10%
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top