Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 bronco. I'm trying to do a 4" bodylift so I can put 35's on it. I need all the details, would be much appreciated. I'm using 3" pipe 4" long with a thick washer welded to one end of the pipe. I have made 10 of these to be used as the spacers. For the steering, I will cut and weld in an extension. The bumpers will be temperarily removed till figure what to do with them. All responces is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Thats alot of body lift... You asked for suggestions. Mine is "don't do it". Either put on a 3" or less body lift and run 33's or trim the fenders for 35's, or better yet, install a 4" or 6" suspension lift and do it right.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck. :thumbup

·
My Ass Is A...
985 Posts
Not trying to be an ass but it comes naturally...4" is not only rediculous, it is illegal in most states...most say the max body and frame separation is 3":twak

·
Registered
952 Posts
gearrat just did a 3" bodylift and fit 35's fine... i wouldn't go 4" myself but it's up to you.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
BroncoBronson said:
I have a 95 bronco. I'm trying to do a 4" bodylift so I can put 35's on it. I need all the details, would be much appreciated. I'm using 3" pipe 4" long with a thick washer welded to one end of the pipe. I have made 10 of these to be used as the spacers. For the steering, I will cut and weld in an extension. The bumpers will be temperarily removed till figure what to do with them. All responces is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Let me see if i am reading this right. You're going to take out the rubber/poly body mounts, and put in PIPE?

Why not just take a hammer to everything in your interior now? It will save you the time of driving it around and hammering the hell out of it. For one, they sell 3" kits with POLY body mounts. They aren't all that expensive. For two, the body mounts are rubber/poly for a reason. Three, to quote Dustin....Pipe is for shitters, not 4X4's.

The body mounts are made for the cab to ride on, they are poly/rubber to bend and flex and work with your suspension in order to ease your ride and protect your body from hard hits. Metal to metal connections moving are NOT a good thing. I think if you actually did that you'd end up ruining the cab or frame mounts, just from hitting pot holes. I am not truly sure what would fail first, the pipe, or the spot where it mounts to your tub.

Not a good idea IMO.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
BroncoBronson said:
Just in case....

Don't do this.:twak

Bronco Rob, it sounds to me like this is going to be a 4" spacer on top of stock rubber mounts. The spacer of some type of pipe with welded washers in each end.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I'm a huge supporter of Body Lifts.. BUT. Don't do anything homemade.. That's just asking for trouble.. Spend the 80 bux and get a 3" Body lift.

The people who do these kind of projects are the same people who put 5" blocks under the front leaf springs to lift the front of their trucks.. You don't want to be in the same boat as them..

If you do decide to do it, then please take pictures so we can see.. :p

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
when the cop stopped me he measured the body lift and 3" was the state max (he was certain i had 4") then he measured the the front bumper to the ground i was too high(i then showed the DOT Book wording and number (If not stock bumpers you can use the bumpers as a measurement it will go off the lowest point of the stock frame (i was alittle over) he returned with the ticket for improper licesne plate lighting (i had clear leds) and not having completed paperwork in the truck (my fault i just swapped the seats and center box and did not move papers) he add the side not to verify both mudd flaps were installed at inspection (i only had one and the mount on the other side) he said he let the over height go since it was close. so i would not go over the 3" spacer and then the poly mount.......mike

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
In california they are required to measure from the lowest part of the frame and not the bumper..
I just went through this with the Highway Patrol.. Big hassle. they cited me for being to high with the frame and the headlights being to high.. So I went to the CHP office to prove them wrong.. I have 2 more inches on frame height before I'm in violation and I have 1/2 " on the headlights before I'm in violation.. Once they were proved wrong they tried to threaten me with a ticket for no mudflaps.. I told them to go ahead and I would go put some on and come back to waste their timing siging it off.. They got irritated and sent me on my way. :) Having a DMV code book and knowing the laws is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Spectre said:
In california they are required to measure from the lowest part of the frame and not the bumper..
I just went through this with the Highway Patrol.. Big hassle. they cited me for being to high with the frame and the headlights being to high.. So I went to the CHP office to prove them wrong.. I have 2 more inches on frame height before I'm in violation and I have 1/2 " on the headlights before I'm in violation.. Once they were proved wrong they tried to threaten me with a ticket for no mudflaps.. I told them to go ahead and I would go put some on and come back to waste their timing siging it off.. They got irritated and sent me on my way. :) Having a DMV code book and knowing the laws is a good thing. :)
A buddy of mine just got a mudflap ticket in Escondido. What a PITA. There's a Chippy down there that likes to pull over wheeling rigs and give equipment violation citations.

The punchline is that he got the ticket the day before he deployed to Japan for 6 months. What an even bigger PITA.

Oh, and on-topic: 4" body lift is stupid. Don't do it. :twak

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Wow...I thank the good lord for planting my butt in the Midwest more and more every day. O_O

Yeah, don't do the 4" lift. In fact, don't do the body lift first. Do a suspension lift (4 or 6, get the 6 cause its only a couple bucks more), be happy and then if you need MORE clearence then go ahead and do the body lift.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
yeah, ouch... not smart dude.
go ahead and BUY a 3" BL. as it was said before, if you put metal on metal... itll just suck. not only will the pipe most likely crap out/ bend your tub or frame mounts- its gonna be noisey...
ace

1 - 20 of 26 Posts