Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up fellas,
Just wanted to say that I love this sight and I'm glad I found it. Just got a 96 XLT which my buddies have aptly named The Machine. She's got 80k miles and some work needs to be done. Was wondering if anyone could help me out on two fronts- Brakes and Suspension.
1- Brakes: this Bronc sees mostly highway/city driving, rarely off-road. Want more stopping power and was wondering if anyone in here runs a brake kit upgrade. I know Baer and Brembo, but I'm sure those are pretty pricey.
2- Suspension: Don't want to lift her, but want to improve the handling. Anybody have any suggestions? She's already got new Edelbrock shocks. I need to replace my radius arm bushings as of now- who makes good polyuerethane bushings?

Any help you fellas may offer would be much appreciated. I'm going to attach some pics of the Machine as soon as I can. Thanks again, and keep up the good work.

·
College User
2,026 Posts
Welcome to FSB and glad to have another FL member around. I have not used poly bushings, but daystar and energy suspension are the makers of them. If the brakes have no air and the calipers are good it should have pretty good brakes. That is a low mileage Bronco you got so take good care of it.

·
Super Moderator
29,107 Posts
yo!

Good choice! Just like our 96XL!
The poly bushuings are prob the way to go; a little firmer and longer lasting than the OEM rubbers.
Don't believe Brembo or Baer has any bronco products yet, if ever. I've been ok w/the oem stuff, esp sice the 4 wheel ABS works great. In case you diy here is Tom's Rotor Replacement Article ...And check our Jer's Auto Hub Swap article for more info on pulling the hubs. More brake/hub/bushing Links in my web site.

Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:
- oil pan rust - ours formed spots @ 62k miles .. look for this, it is expensive to have a shop do it and isn't something that should be happening
- radiator plastic side seam leaks esp. during engine cool-down period/overnight - ours leaked @ 50k miles
- auto tranny - change the fluid soon then every 30k miles
- auto hub operation (get it in sand or mud and try the 4x4 system; or mark the driveshaft and see if it moves when in 4x4 for a short drive; ours blew @ only 30 k miles despite freq. maint.)
- rust in inner rear fender lips and bottom of tailgate (our fender lips was rusting due to beach sand wearing the paint)
- cracked exhaust manifold/y etc.
- roof/gutter area cracks (mostly appl. to earlier years than 96)
Have an Owner's Guide, etc.? If not get a free printable copy from Ford.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Miesk- I'll look out for those problems in the future, thanks.
As for the brakes, they're still in good shape, I was just wondering what else is out there that people are runnin.
:thumbup

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
I have Daystar poly bushings on my 84 Bronco, and they definitely firmed up the ride! Some people may think they're too stiff, not enough cushion like rubber, but IMO the shocks and tire pressure have more effect on ride harshness. A good set of shocks like the EDL IAS is a vast improvement over the factory ones. Another thing you can do to improve stability is swap the factory 235R15 tires for some 32x11.50R15's to get a wider track, they will fit without any lift. As for the front brakes, I think Summit Racing has some truck power rotors or something, but I just have regular Ford truck rotors and they seem to do fine. Just have'em "turned" at a brake shop when replacing the pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Daystar poly bushings on my 84 Bronco, and they definitely firmed up the ride! Some people may think they're too stiff
Justshootme, I read some of your posts on another Poly Bushings thread, you were saying that they squeek like hell. Is that while offroading or on asphalt? This Bronc is going to be mainly on paved roads. I've heard from folks that rubber bushings on their Broncos have needed to be replaced every 2-3 years in the past. I don't mind if the ride is stiffer with the poly's, but if that means that it's going to slam, chatter, squeek, etc. on pavement, then I'll stick with rubber. What do you think?

With those 32X11.5's on the stock rims, do you need to space out the bumper or shave the airdam?

Thanks, bro.

·
Super Moderator
29,107 Posts
speaking for my 96; for 32's I did space out the bumper & shaved the airdam, both on driver's side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
justshootme84,

i dont have much experiance with this but if he went from 235-75-15's to 32's, that would make his brakes worse?? just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts