Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have started collecting many parts for the bronco and will be purchasing bumpers this year and a lift if the right thing comes along.

Thus far I have collected, sliders, winch, soft top, roof basket, and some other small things.

Lift plans to come (waaay down the road and subject to change) - install solid 44 from an old farm truck we have stored behind our barn, and possibly install the rear from the same truck. SO, I would like to buy a lift now that I can use the springs, etc from for my future SAS (if I do not go with the leafs that are in the old farm truck). I will be going with 33s, for now. I will regear when I do the SAS, if the ol' 302 doesn't totally dog with the 33s.

QUESTION at hand:

What are the MAIN differences between a 4" and a 6" lift? Why choose one over the other? OTHER than the obvious larger tire size and ground clearance. What would make one lift more desirable than another?

Any other suggestions for build?

Thanks in advance!
Bill

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Well like you said it depends what size tires you want to run and how much clearance you're lookin for. The extra 2" isn't just for ground clearance but it also gives you that much more clearance for when you're stuffing one tire up into the wheelwell while you're flexing.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
You gotta have either extended RA's or RA drop brackets. If you don't do one of the 2 your caster will be so screwed up it will be very hard if not impossible to control.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone w/any other thoughts?

:beer
Bill

·
Registered
250 Posts
from what i hear alot of people go with a 4" and later wish they had gone with 6" instead.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
If you are only going with 33s, stick to the 4". A 6" lift looks stupid, IMHO, with anything less than 36s or 37s. Go with extended radius arms, the drop brackets can tweak your frame if get too rough with it. Plus the extended RAs ride much better.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
The Extended raduis arms will improve ride and flex, but they can't be reused on a SFA....just an FYI

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
how does the 6 inch look with 35s, that's what i'm probably going with.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hopper said:
If you are only going with 33s, stick to the 4". A 6" lift looks stupid, IMHO, with anything less than 36s or 37s.
Thats what I was thinking wouldnt 33's look small with a 6" lift? But if you planned to go with bigger tires I think 6" would be better then.

And you can get the 4" kit with radius arms, just costs more.
I think if you want the 6" and 35" or bigger tires than you might as well get a solid axle too. That might be too much for the TTB if doing some serious wheeling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts