Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lead on some like new Explorer seats from a company that does Police car conversions for really cheap.

I looked at several threads including the official seat thread and it doesn't look like anyone has tried to install newer explorer seats in a Bronco.

Anyone have any thoughts on how hard this could be to convert them to my stock rails? They are cheap enough it might be worth buying them and if it doesn't work out I could sell them on ebay or CL.

Thoughts? Thanks, Stephen

·
Super Moderator
29,444 Posts
Yo Stephen,
Only issue I foresee is that the Explorer seats PROBABLY do not tilt and slide forward, therefore rear seat access would be difficult.

Here is a typical work around for modifying a replacement seat;
Installation Info (1999 F 150) buckets in an 88; "...I had to drill new holes in the stock bronco brackets to accomodate the studs from the f-150 seats. I also had to drill 2 new holes in the floor because the f-150 slider brackets are further apart about 1".. It worked out ok because there is a little reinforcement panel underneath the bronco body and you still hit it when re-drilling. For the passenger side, I added some angle iron to the bronco flip-seat bracket to get my extra width I needed, pretty simple actually..."
Source: by arvy88bronco (The Black Peach)

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,379 Posts
you can mount damn near any seat you want... it's just a matter of how much effort you're willing to put into it.
you probably saw my 2008 SuperDuty bench seat mounted in my '73 F250.

Like miesk5 said and like I discovered with the 2000's Exploder seats I put in my '89 FSB years back... they can be a little less functional.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can mount damn near any seat you want... it's just a matter of how much effort you're willing to put into it.

Like miesk5 said and like I discovered with the 2000's Exploder seats I put in my '89 FSB years back... they can be a little less functional.

Do you think they could be mounted to the stock bronco sliders so you could get by them more easily? I haven't messed with seats at any time so I am very much a newbie to something like this. Thanks Miesk and BP.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,095 Posts
You'd really have to take a close look at how the Explorer seats are attached to their frames/sliders.
The older ones(up to '99 I think) are bolted to the sliders which make them a really easy swap onto the Bronco sliders.
It's hard to tell what it would take to get them to mount SAFELY on your sliders without a side by side comparison.
You would also need to measure the width of the seat, alot of the newer seats are pretty wide and might interfere with door closing or rubbing the door.
Not sure of the reason you want to use the 12-16 Explorer seats but the earlier model Explorer seats are really easy to swap over and junkyards usually have tons of them.

Like mentioned, anything is doable if you have the right tools and know how.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,379 Posts
well... I took the rails off of my '73 bench and mounted them on the '08 SD bench... but I haven't checked out seats as new as your looking at, so I would hesitate to say yes.
the key will be checking the frame measurements to see if they can be bolted to the old rails or how much trouble it would take to do so.

If you saw my bench seat upgrade in the seats thread... you'll get a real good idea of what I'm talking about.
Far from the best example for what your looking to do though. maybe someone will come along who knows better. :shrug

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'd really have to take a close look at how the Explorer seats are attached to their frames/sliders.
The older ones(up to '99 I think) are bolted to the sliders which make them a really easy swap onto the Bronco sliders.
It's hard to tell what it would take to get them to mount SAFELY on your sliders without a side by side comparison.
You would also need to measure the width of the seat, alot of the newer seats are pretty wide and might interfere with door closing or rubbing the door.
Not sure of the reason you want to use the 12-16 Explorer seats but the earlier model Explorer seats are really easy to swap over and junkyards usually have tons of them.

Like mentioned, anything is doable if you have the right tools and know how.
It's based upon cost. It looks like I might be able to get a full set of leather front seats and bench rear for about $300, it might be an incredible deal if they fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts