Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a newer 07-09 f-150 4x4, does anybody have one?? How do you like it? is it reliable? any complaints? please serious responses only
I was hoping to get a cab and a half, with the v6 4x4 with a big enough package to be comfortable.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I'm with you on the v6 choice.. those are the 4.2L v6, right? the non-overhead cam one? if it's what i think it is it's a good engine.. pretty powerful too

all the overhead cam v8 engines seem to be a pain in the ass... with their spark plug issues, and timing chain issues.

·
JEEP CREEP
2,503 Posts
a friend of mine has an 05 with the 5.4 in it. its been a great truck no real big problems. his is also a 4 door plentty of room in it for river trips and desert trips.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
I'm with you on the v6 choice.. those are the 4.2L v6, right? the non-overhead cam one? if it's what i think it is it's a good engine.. pretty powerful too

all the overhead cam v8 engines seem to be a pain in the ass... with their spark plug issues, and timing chain issues.
the 2v's were the ejecting plug ones, the 3v's had a spark plug siezing to the head issue that was back in 05, all you gotta do is use a normal plug and its not a problem....

I'd way rather have a 5.4 3v than a v6 in a 1/2 ton truck....

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how great are the 4.6 3v motors? I wish I could get a standard but thats out of the window.

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clicky
This is a nice truck

·
'05 Excursion Limited
1,662 Posts
You are 19 right? Don't buy a truck with payments. End of story.

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sure do want one though man they are nice. I test drove a 2011 f-250 4x4 with the 6.7 liter diesel, it was the nicest truck I have ever drove. It would be a night and day difference in towing and rides alot better than my old 1997 f-250 4x4 with the 5.8 I have never owned anything new or in very good shape. But with the payments on this truck being 245 bucks a month I don't think i could afford it

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
You are 19 right? Don't buy a truck with payments. End of story.
I don't know his financial situation, but how does being 19 make buying a truck with payments a bad idea?

Again, I don't know his background, but if a 19 yr old and say a 40 yr old have the same income/job security/savings and monthly expenses/dependants/responsible spending habbits then what does the age matter besides his insurance probably being at a higher cost?

I keep hearing this line thrown out all of the time and would like to hear some real logic to back it up.

I'm 22 and have a better/more stable career and more attractive financial situation than most folks twice my age that I know so when I hear people try to trump older people up in this realm simply because of their age it pisses me off.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Actually, older people shouldn't buy a vehicle with payments either.

If I can't pay cash, I can't afford it.

Just make those monthly payments to yourself and you'll be amazed how quickly it accumulates. If he starts this discipline now, when he is in his forties he'll be wealthy. And won't remember what a car payment is.

And then when the time comes for a new vehicle you can pay cash.

Although I always find myself buying something cheaper than what I can afford simply because it's too difficult to let go of that cash once you've built it up.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
And then when the time comes for a new vehicle you can pay cash.

Although I always find myself buying something cheaper than what I can afford simply because it's too difficult to let go of that cash once you've built it up.
I agree, buy something cheaper. New cars loose value incredibly fast. Take advantage of that and buy a little bit older one...remember, the newer it is, the more expensive it is to fix usually. :thumbup

Although, be mindful of what you buy, and sometimes, what you buy can and will bite you in the ass :brownbag:

KC

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I sure do want one though man they are nice. I test drove a 2011 f-250 4x4 with the 6.7 liter diesel, it was the nicest truck I have ever drove. It would be a night and day difference in towing and rides alot better than my old 1997 f-250 4x4 with the 5.8 I have never owned anything new or in very good shape. But with the payments on this truck being 245 bucks a month I don't think i could afford it
Let me know where you're getting a 2011 F250 4x4 diesel for 245 a month and I'll go get a brand new one.. That's way less then my payment for my F250.. :banghead

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you can't afford a 245$ monthly payment you need to give up looking for a new vehicle. You do realize you will have to have full coverage insurance. For a 19 year old it would probably be 150$ a month on top of your 250$ payment. (150$ is if you haven't had any tickets or wrecks). Not to mention you prob don't have great credit being so young, so your interest with be high. Don't let them fool you. 249$ a month for how long? I garuntee you it's not for 60mths. Don't buy something you can't afford.

So many people have fawked up becuase the have baught cars and houses they can not afford. Why do you think there are so many foreclosures? Learn from other people mistakes.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
If you can't afford a 245$ monthly payment you need to give up looking for a new vehicle. You do realize you will have to have full coverage insurance. For a 19 year old it would probably be 150$ a month on top of your 250$ payment. (150$ is if you haven't had any tickets or wrecks). Not to mention you prob don't have great credit being so young, so your interest with be high. Don't let them fool you. 249$ a month for how long? I garuntee you it's not for 60mths. Don't buy something you can't afford.

So many people have fawked up becuase the have baught cars and houses they can not afford. Why do you think there are so many foreclosures? Learn from other people mistakes.
what he said ^^^

I work financing and sure as hell you aren't going to get $250/mth even @ 84 mths (7 years) without a healthy down payment. thats only 21k, that doesn't cover even the whole principal amount, let alone interest. Plus if I had to guess, without a co-x'er @ 600 or above, your interest will easy be 15%+

Regardless I would wait for your first loan. I'm 21, just received my 2nd loan and to be honest I drive way nicer vehicles than my friends (I have a DD stratus, the f250, a street bike, and just sold my bronco) but my wallet hurts. Bad. Really at the end of the day, a better investment (and a safer investment) would be to pick up something <$10k. But if you can afford it by any means go for it. Everyone told me I couldn't do it, and damn skippy did I prove them wrong.

Oh and a buddy of mine has an 09 f150 and its an awesome beautiful truck. I didn't like the body style till i actually saw his. Rides incredible for a pick up (compared to the 01-06 or w/e superdutys that ride like a truck)

·
Registered
664 Posts
what he said ^^^

I work financing and sure as hell you aren't going to get $250/mth even @ 84 mths (7 years) without a healthy down payment. thats only 21k, that doesn't cover even the whole principal amount, let alone interest. Plus if I had to guess, without a co-x'er @ 600 or above, your interest will easy be 15%+

Regardless I would wait for your first loan. I'm 21, just received my 2nd loan and to be honest I drive way nicer vehicles than my friends (I have a DD stratus, the f250, a street bike, and just sold my bronco) but my wallet hurts. Bad. Really at the end of the day, a better investment (and a safer investment) would be to pick up something <$10k. But if you can afford it by any means go for it. Everyone told me I couldn't do it, and damn skippy did I prove them wrong.

Oh and a buddy of mine has an 09 f150 and its an awesome beautiful truck. I didn't like the body style till i actually saw his. Rides incredible for a pick up (compared to the 01-06 or w/e superdutys that ride like a truck)
I'm 23 and have realized these things the hardway too. I had my bronco when I was 15, and still have it (my DD). I had a 02 f150, and a 08 yota camry, new quad, and dirt bike. I was lucky, had a awesome job, and made great money, but then got layed off and had to struggle (two car payments, quad, mortgage, and bills) bad till I was able to sell everything. I did every job I could find. It's not worth paying the money just to drive around in a new vehicle. Take my word on it. If I knew then what I know now, I would have a bank acct that would easily have 100k in it. But oh well. Use that money and make an investment. Maybe schooling?? I hated going but now have a marketing and finishing a geology degree. It is a pita, but well worth it in the long run.

·
JEEP CREEP
2,503 Posts
Yeah I don't get the age thing. I bought an 08 superduty in 07. Yeah it's expensive but I've never missed a payment and in two years it will be paid off. Even when work got super slow you will find a way to come up eith the money if you really want to. At least I did. I've finaced alot of stuff and because of that I now have perfect credit. Just don't get yourself I to something that's really gonna leave you hurting for money every month. Plus once my trucks paid off I'm gonna have a nice newer truck that's gonna last me a long time. Good luck on getting a truck man.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Oh God man you're setting yourself up for failure, at your age you don't need a new 6.7. Do you realize the mileage they get? The cost of maintenance? Payments? To be honest there isn't a bank or lender on the face of this earth who would loan for that truck. Especially with your age and etc.

If you really want a diesel for towing then stick with an OBS or a 99-up superduty with the 7.3. My truck is very comfortable after all its mods, I can drive it with one finger down the highway at 80-90 while whispering to the person next to me. It tows great and after its go fast goodies it will get off the line plenty quick. My truck booked for 11k when I bought it, I only paid 6k though. You would pay 3k in a year for fuel alone in a 6.7. That's only driving 12k miles too.

Seriously man if you really want a new truck then stick with something older that's clean. I wanted a brand new diesel too, even a new Dodge Charger a while back but it wasn't practical at all. Seriously consider what Ive said, my truck is comparable to a Caddy on road trips. Next year my family and I are driving it to Alaska and back, that oughta say something.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about getting the 6.7 but rather the used truck.

but honestly with the state the country is in, and the current administration saving might not be the best option. as interest rates fall on savings accounts and inflation rises, the dollars you work for and save are not going to be worth nearly as much later. now i'm not saying don't save, just don't become obsessed with saving. save some but don't worry about it too much.

when inflation happens (and it will big time when the fed has to print more money to pay for debts) who is the winner? the lender or the debtor? if your interest on the loan is fixed then it's the debtor because he's paying the same number of dollars but the dollars are worth less than when the loan was made.

it all depends on your situation though. personally, i'm 20, i would not want car payments now. my credit card is enough to worry about. although i could get a decent loan i think. my credit score is in the 700s

1 - 20 of 60 Posts