Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a 96 bronco, 351, automatic, manual shift 4x4. The PO said it needed a battery and radiator so I went to lkq and pulled a radiator out of a 96 f150, its the fat radiator, and installed the battery. Started right up with a LOUD! vroom and I mean LOUD! so I immediately looked underneath to discover transmission fluid flowing from under the tranny. Quickly shutting the engine off I put some plastic down and looked under her to see wtf was going on. Well, someone had used a sawzall to steal the catalytic converter out of her... They cut right above where the Y pipe connected into 1 and cut about a foot before the muffle. In doing this they nicked one of the transmission cooling lines. I repaired the transmission line, and now have to find a shop to fix this exhaust issue. My question is, does the 96 need a catalytic converter for emissions in Texas? I am going to a shop tomorrow but I do not want them to say it HAS to have one if it does not need emission testing.

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
I know @dash_cam lives in TX...
oddly, i didn't get a notification of your tag. gonna have to look at that...

but yes, i do live in texas and i also have a 96 with a 351. you still have to pass the emissions for one more year, i think. it depends on county, i think, though. i'm in dallas.

i installed a magnaflow y-pipe for an older model bronco that has only a single cat. i passed emissions no prob. now, this didn't bolt up like it was supposed to exactly and had to be modified to seal. but as far as cats go, i passed.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I would do it, I plan on adding a cat to my 86, just helps with the exhaust smell a bit.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I live in a TX county with no emissions testing and was told that they will still do a visual for a cat. It wasn't OE on an '80 so it's not an issue for me but for a '96 I assume it would be.

I still plan on adding a cat when I go FI as I'm tired of the exhaust smell.

·
Registered
573 Posts
so long as you dont mind driving around forever with the CEL on
And if a real code pops up, cuz light is on you won't even know

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Taking it to a shop tomorrow morning and getting it fixed with a cat. Super honest reliable mechanic that works with you, very rare. Thanks for all the reply's guys you have been a big help.

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
so long as you dont mind driving around forever with the CEL on
And if a real code pops up, cuz light is on you won't even know
you can defeat CEL from o2 sensor with either a non-fouler or some wire in a resistor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just had my 1996 bronco inspected in Williamson County, Texas today. No emissions, for the first time ever. Must have hit the 25 year mark!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am in Brazoria. I think only if the truck is registered in one of these county's that it has to have emissions testing is why you did not have to have a emissions test.

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

• Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Ellis, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, and Williamson.
  • Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
  • Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker.

Map of Texas Counties Performing Emissions Testing

What Type Of Emissions Test Will My Vehicle Receive?
In conjunction with the annual safety inspection, all gasoline powered vehicles from 2 through 24 years old which are registered or primarily operated in emissions counties will receive the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) test.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, mechanic was unable to place the cats on because he did not have the correct ones in stock and has to order them which the only ones he can get are from RA for around 366 bucks. So, he fixed the exhaust without installing the cats and found that the person who stole the cats had also cut the downstream O2 sensor. So, I have a repaired flowmaster exhaust with no cats and no downstream O2 sensor. I called the emissions place in Houston and told them I had a 96 and asked if it needs emission testing for inspection. The man said "only safety", but when I got to the inspection place the woman says it does need emissions testing and that the "cut off year" was 1995 for the 25 year rule or some bs. So I left without inspection.

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
just checked my receipts....i paid ~240 for the cat i linked above. it's $384 now!

rewiring the o2 sensor will be a piece of cake. just get a pigtail to connect it and wire it in.

i'll reiterate that you can buy a non-fouler and that should get you past the no-cat issue.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am in Brazoria. I think only if the truck is registered in one of these county's that it has to have emissions testing is why you did not have to have a emissions test.

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

• Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Ellis, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, and Williamson.
  • Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.
  • Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker.

Map of Texas Counties Performing Emissions Testing

What Type Of Emissions Test Will My Vehicle Receive?
In conjunction with the annual safety inspection, all gasoline powered vehicles from 2 through 24 years old which are registered or primarily operated in emissions counties will receive the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) test.
Looks like your solution would be to move to Amarillo or Austin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.