Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next project that I will get in over my head on. Building a motor for my bronco as it is down 2 cylinders. Picked up this motor from the freeport junkyard, it is a 5.0 out of a 95 explorer. Has gt40 heads, not sure if it is a HO motor or no as the plate on the intake did not say HO. I plan to try and do this as cheap as possible reusing what I can. I am going to have the block cleaned up and hopefully it will not need to be bored so i can reuse the pistons. The only real mods I plan on doing is a cam and roller rockers. I also plan to mildly PNP the heads myself and probably get a valve job.
I am currently researching what Cam I am going to use and then I will order that up.
Anyone have a recommendation on a book to build 5.0's as I never did this before.

new tool, piece of crap Chinese pep boys hoist, crappy welds, shag all over the place but it works.

engine

pistons

bores look pretty good, still has the cross lines

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
As far as books goes, the haynes or chilton is straight forward for tear down and buildup.

A how to build/make horsepower Ford book exist, but unless you plan on increased bore/stroke and tips on building more power, than it's un-needed imho.

Qs:

Do you plan on keeping the oil filter relocation to the front? And do you have any needs for air-injection? Was the engine you pulled from the JY a runner?

I did the same when I bought my Ford Donkey ( oops I mean bronco ;) ) but I used a CV 1991 engine as my based engine since it was free and already acquired. Since then, that engine has been revert numerous ways and has a bastardize of parts on it from explore heads, CV flexplate, truck timing cover and now explore intake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts