Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago, my mom bought me a REVO for Christmas. It was the Christmas right after it came out. She ordered WAY ahead of time, around September. So I got Christmas and after reading and re-reading the manual and watching the break in video, I decided to wait til spring to actually break it in. It's my first Nitro and I really didn't want to screw it up. So then I decided I'd pass some time by installing the Long Travel rocker kit that it came with because this is nothing more than a basher. I had a little incident there, but no big deal. Got it straightened out and ready to go and then I could not get the engine to turn over. I recharged the batteries and tryed again (EZ Start system) and couldn't get it to work. So I called Traxxas and they explained that the new engines sometimes are VERY tight, so much so that the starter motor can't turn them over. So they gave me instructions on turning the wheel thing underneath it while trying to start it to get it to break lose. Finannly got it turning over and it wouldn't start. I called them and they said I could have fouled the glow plug and that I'd need some more. I ordered some, tryed them and nothing. So I tryed for a week or so more, trying to get it to run... nothing. So I gave up. This summer a friend came over and we got to messing with it and we got it running. It didn't run very well until it had been running a little bit. So I got her and took her out to the road and broke her in just like the manual instructed. I started messing around with it and absolutely feel in love with nitro. I took it over to my friends house after that and we noticed that it was a BEOTCH to get it started and keep it running for any amount of time. So I got the manual out AGAIN and looked it over and made sure all the setting were at stock. It ran a little longer but gunning it or doing anything to get it offcenter would shut it off... which then led to battey charging and trying and trying to get it to start. We messed with it all day, but it never got any easier to start, usually recquiring two to three batteries. I've been trying to get it running again and it's just not working. I'm think these glow plugs may be fouled, but there's obviously something bigger wrong with it. I'm considering ditching the EZ Start and installing a pull start and using a glow plug warmer. I'm really at a loss. I suppose it could be the motor, maybe I did something wrong in breaking it in, or maybe it was just a bad motor. I was going to send it in for a replacement when I first got it, but the warranty was expired by the time I thought to do so. Anyone got any ideas? I'm gonna order some glow plugs soon and try that out first before I spend any big amounts of money on it. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
I have a REVO too and have had some starting problems in the past. My problems were from the fuel system.I found my fuel cap was not sealing and i had a few kinks in the fuel lines, after getting a new fuel cap seal and rerouting my fuel line it was better.

I haven't played with my revo in awhile because of some thing wrong with the control servo's. I need to fix it and start using it again, it's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've re-ran my fuel lines before but not because they were a problem, I took them out for some reason and re-did them. Its getting fuel. Its just not doing anything with it. :-/

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
When you try to start it are you choking it? Which means put your thumb over the end of the exhaust while you start it. It helps a lot...:thumbup

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yessir. Its gettin gas, I can see it flying to the motor... its just not igniting it. That's why I'm guessing glow plug but it does start eventually... it just takes forever. and a day.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
What gas are you running? I run the 20% mix. If you run to much oil in a 2 stroke it will fowl plugs. It runs to rich.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm running 10%...

Would a fouled glow plug work at all though? I thought once it was fouled it was pretty much useless? I can get it to work, it just takes a lot of work. and patience.

(Nice 4-Tec btw)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
what motor you got? if it is the .15 motor you will want to flip the carb. All you do is unscrew it and rotate it 180 degrees and retighten it. It allows better fuel flow to the motor. Do not ditch the easy start, I have been advised to but now that I have I regret it. Pull starts are a bitch so if you can get it running with easy start, do it. I had it and replaced it. I miss it. You may want a better flowing air filter, try buying a new upgraded one. Also, try dumping some nitro directly into the carb, pull of the air filter and dump some in. let it crank and dont push down on the fuel tank pump. It should fire right up. If it doesnt there are some deeper issue. Traxxas motor suck IMO. The only good reliable motor I have is an HP that I have in my RS4II "frankencar". That thing hauls ass!!!!!! I installed a 2spd. tranny and a custom BADASS racing pipe along with an upgraded air filter and that baby rips. I've done 60 or damn close to it. Handles like a breeze too. My old t-maxx is way less reliable. I replaced the stock POS .15 motor with a .15 CVRX motor and a larger cooling head and it still dont run consistently. I've invested so much into my truck and all it does is be unreliable. I fvcking hate it. I've replaced servos, upgraded the gas tank, air filter, carb, starter, head, pipe, bought aftermarket wheels and some kick ass bodies and the truck still wont run worth a crap. My brand new 87-91 Bronco body I custom painted to match my truck was ruined when my servo stuck (or it lost reception) and my truck took off at full throttle nearing 40mph and hit the end of the road and flipped itself. My body that was my show body is now ruined because my POS truck is a POS. I love my car though. Runs like a champ.

sorry for the rant.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
I'm running 10%...

Would a fouled glow plug work at all though? I thought once it was fouled it was pretty much useless? I can get it to work, it just takes a lot of work. and patience.

(Nice 4-Tec btw)
For a better explanation glow plugs are like light bulb once the elements blow they are no good.

The problem maybe the 10% nitro try a small can of the 20% for a leaner oil. Your car may not like the richer fuel. It is harder for it to burn but the 30% to me is to lean and wont lube the motor good enough.

Yep mine is the 4-Tec and I have a nitro rustler (with a blown motor but it is old and it was a 1.5 car).:thumbup

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'm running 10%...

(Nice 4-Tec btw)
A fouled glow plug is fouled. It will not work. Buy a lot of them. What type of glow ignitor are you using? Invest in a good, high-power rechargable one. You will go through batteries like crazy if you dont.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
For a better explanation glow plugs are like light bulb once the elements blow they are no good.

The problem maybe the 10% nitro try a small can of the 20% for a leaner oil. Your car may not like the richer fuel. It is harder for it to burn but the 30% to me is to lean and wont lube the motor good enough.

Yep mine is the 4-Tec and I have a nitro rustler (with a blown motor but it is old and it was a 1.5 car).:thumbup
I have my old t-maxx motor just sittin around collecting dust. If your interested PM me and let me know. I was gunna sell it on craigslist.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
what motor you got? if it is the .15 motor you will want to flip the carb. All you do is unscrew it and rotate it 180 degrees and retighten it. It allows better fuel flow to the motor. Do not ditch the easy start, I have been advised to but now that I have I regret it. Pull starts are a bitch so if you can get it running with easy start, do it. I had it and replaced it. I miss it. You may want a better flowing air filter, try buying a new upgraded one. Also, try dumping some nitro directly into the carb, pull of the air filter and dump some in. let it crank and dont push down on the fuel tank pump. It should fire right up. If it doesnt there are some deeper issue. Traxxas motor suck IMO. The only good reliable motor I have is an HP that I have in my RS4II "frankencar". That thing hauls ass!!!!!! I installed a 2spd. tranny and a custom BADASS racing pipe along with an upgraded air filter and that baby rips. I've done 60 or damn close to it. Handles like a breeze too. My old t-maxx is way less reliable. I replaced the stock POS .15 motor with a .15 CVRX motor and a larger cooling head and it still dont run consistently. I've invested so much into my truck and all it does is be unreliable. I fvcking hate it. I've replaced servos, upgraded the gas tank, air filter, carb, starter, head, pipe, bought aftermarket wheels and some kick ass bodies and the truck still wont run worth a crap. My brand new 87-91 Bronco body I custom painted to match my truck was ruined when my servo stuck (or it lost reception) and my truck took off at full throttle nearing 40mph and hit the end of the road and flipped itself. My body that was my show body is now ruined because my POS truck is a POS. I love my car though. Runs like a champ.

sorry for the rant.

I have had great luck with mine. I ported and polished my .15 and had to strap a AA battery to the front of my nitro rustler to keep the front end down. My 4-Tek did 60+ out of the box with the .25 motor. Never had a running issue out of either...:shrug

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My truck uses the 2.5R (not sure if R actually means anything lmao) engine. If anything I'll upgrade to the OS .18TM motor and try again.

The reason I was asking about the glow plugs is that I can crank it, it just takes fooorrreeevvveeerrr. So that means that the glow plugs are good right? Because it starts eventually. I'm going to buy some new ones because I'm sure mine are shot, but earlier, I was using the same one or two and it'd start.

I'm using the EZ Start system only. It ignites the glow plug doesnt it? Its got a wire running to that connects to the top and I've never used a glow ignitor before. Maybe I could use the motor and an ignitor? Just unplug the wire to the plug?

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
I'm using the EZ Start system only. It ignites the glow plug doesnt it? Its got a wire running to that connects to the top and I've never used a glow ignitor before. Maybe I could use the motor and an ignitor? Just unplug the wire to the plug?
Make sure that battery is good and charged. Weak battery will cause it to have a hard start..

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had to recharge them multiple times to get a start. I know they're good. You can hear the diffrence in a good battery and a bad one with the motor speed.

Why can't running nitros be as easy as electric? gah

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,342 Posts
I think your main problem ATM is the 10% fuel. I would go and get some twenty percent at least, I would then change the glow plug but get a higher heat range of plug, it will be hottter and make it easier to start. I would suggest a McCoy MC59.
I noticed you said it ran for a little while, now that it's broke in you need to lean out your high speed. I wouldn't mess with the low end just yet.
You can also take the air breather off and put some fuel straight into the carb, not a lot though. Some times this helps get them going.
From what i gether it is just enough out of tune that it isn't wanting to run.
If you still cannot get it going I would look at the lines and the gas lid seal since its been sitting for awhile.
Also your truck should have a 2.5R in and if you think its a PITA now you would not be any happier with a pullstart. I've had the blisters to prove it.

Let me know if you need more help,

-Also yes you can run a seperate ignitor and still start it with the EZ-Start, that's how I do them when they come in at work cuase you get a hotter plug. Its possible that blue wire could have a short in it or something too

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
I've had to recharge them multiple times to get a start. I know they're good. You can hear the difference in a good battery and a bad one with the motor speed.

Why can't running nitros be as easy as electric? gah
When they are right they are not bad to work with. Try the leaner fuel.;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alrighty. That's the kinda help I needed but didn't want to pay for! Thanks!

I'll look into some 20% then. I remember reading that you were suppose to stick to the fuel that you broke it in with. Will using 20% too long screw it up more? I guess either way it doesn't really matter. Just want to make sure I understand.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I personlly like the HPI rotostart over the Traxxas EZ start. I have the HPI setup on my son's and my Ofna buggy, and my sons Traxxas Rustler. I don't know if the rotostart backplate is compatible with your engine though. Check this out before buying one.

Sounds like a couple things to me.

1) Plug is fouled
2) Engine is too lean/rich
3) Engine is cold.

I have a bitch of a time starting my buggy when its cold outside or even inside at the track. When at the track, I have an old hair dryer in my tool box that I use to pre-heat the engine/cooling head with. Works great. This is a problem if you're outside with no access to power.

You might also try the message boards at traxxas if you can't get it fixed here. There are a lot of helpful people there as well.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
Alrighty. That's the kinda help I needed but didn't want to pay for! Thanks!

I'll look into some 20% then. I remember reading that you were suppose to stick to the fuel that you broke it in with. Will using 20% too long screw it up more? I guess either way it doesn't really matter. Just want to make sure I understand.
That is all I run break in and after. I think the main thing is to stick with a fuel type and not flop between types. I really don't see it to hurt you to swap once.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts