Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard recently that jersey is doing away with the mechanical portion of the inspection process... but they'll still be doing the emissions testing. Does anyone know any more about this, such as when it might be coming into effect?

My BKO's up for inspection this month, but i'm in nz and won't be able to get it checked until july. thinking this will help me not worry about the loads of rust and lift issues...

this is all i was able to find online:
http://www.kyw1060.com/To-Save-Money--NJ-to-Scrap-Automobile-Safety-Inspe/6928267

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/nj_motor_vehicle_commission_pr.html

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
All I can tell you is that yes it is true, NJ is dropping the mechanical portion of the inspection, but no I am not sure when it will change... the NJ MVC site says nothing about it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just heard July 1st being thrown around...

probably a lot of other places where the fat could have been cut but at least i don't think losing this will really negatively impact anyone.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I never understood failing people for rust. People I know just duct taped over it and passed. But I ride a motorcycle so I would feel safer knowing people have had their brakes and suspension checked.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
its kind of cool, i mean now i can finally go and get my crap vehicles pushed through regardless. Great thing about jersey (atleast around my way) is every other private inspection station you drive by will push your vehicle through as long as you give them a heads up. I got 2 shops I always take my vehicles to, though i really try to pass legit first.

And damn that tilt test lol. No private facilities for that... I'm sure they won't remove that though. they love us with the lifted trucks. They just set new lift laws not even a month and half ago for 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. 1 ton trucks are "Self Inspection" now. ain't that some shit?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
fill me in, what the hell is the tilt test?
how are you from jersey, and don't know what the tilt test is? lol...

http://home.comcast.net/~kayaker121/NJLiftLaws.html

Stability (a.k.a. tilt) test
Your truck will be weighed providing 3 weights. (total weight, driver side weight and passenger side weight). A percentage is calculated of the weight transfer between the driver and passenger side while parked on a 15% ramp. The magic transfer percentage is ‘under’ 62.4%. This means if there is more then 37.6% of total weight on the passenger side (while on ramp), you will fail the tilt test. The steps used to determine these weights are below.

1) Drive truck on both scales flat on the ground. They determine the two side weights (driver and passenger) which yields a combined total weight,

2) You back off the scale and drive up the 15% ramp (drivers side up). This places the passenger tires on one set of scales.

3) They weigh the passenger sides new weight.

Example (flat weights):
Driver side 1,500 50%
Passenger side 1,500 50%
Total weight 3,000 100%

While on the ramp, the passenger side weight is 1,869 or 62.3% of 3,000 (this would pass by a tenth of a percent)

If the passenger side weight exceeded 1,869 pounds (i.e is above 62.3% of total weight) you fail.
but they just mandated new laws harsher for 1/2 + 3/4 ton vehicles, and all 1-tons are now considered self inspection though most people still take them through inspection anyway.

**edit**
it may just be 1-ton diesels, i have to check for sure

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would feel safer knowing people have had their brakes and suspension checked.

I agree that their are too many irresponsible jerkoffs that would drive around with no back brakes, beat fronts, loose tierod ends. It's amazing what some people would drive down the road. They'll realize when they loose a tie rod end at 50 mph and take out a minivan and kill someones 2 year old kid. some of the trucks I see that get driven to wharton would just be better off burnt.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
I would feel safer knowing people have had their brakes and suspension checked.
thats part of normal NJ inspection. you don't even have to have your truck lifted for those to be checked. Some places kinda push shit through sometimes, I know other people who just get inspection stickers, and some people who just really don't care and never get it inspected.

any updates on the inspection laws? primarily concerning the lift portion?
for the most part what was posted above is primarily what you're looking at. Check the website for the actual numbers as to how high you can go. Most often trucks pass the lift/stability test, its rare that they dont. Most people are just too scared to jump on the tilt test (b/c if your truck rolls, too bad your responsible for repairs) or are just too lazy (like myself) to find and make an appointment at 1 of 4 lift-only inspection stations in NJ.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
The tilt Test ramp is nothing. Yopu'd have to have an ATV on 44s with a 500 lb dude on top of it to roll
well fortunately i haven't had the honor to actually put one of my own trucks on one. I just don't care enough to get the tilt test sticker and stability papers. My bronco wasn't big enough for me to care, and the f250 rarely sees the road. I'd rather sit around and scratch my nuts then go make an appointment for a sticker that I really could just buy for 50 scooners if i wanted too. Unless you live in towns like shamong, tabernacle, medford, atco, tuckerton, or anything that is through wharton state forest your fine... most cops around the area don't know the lift laws, nor could they really care.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run LiftLaws.com and found this thread in my never ending search for law changes.

I haven't been able to find a set date for when this takes effect either. Hopefully someone will remember to post the details here when they become available.

Ben
Filthy Motorsports

·
Registered
263 Posts
well fortunately i haven't had the honor to actually put one of my own trucks on one. I just don't care enough to get the tilt test sticker and stability papers. My bronco wasn't big enough for me to care, and the f250 rarely sees the road. I'd rather sit around and scratch my nuts then go make an appointment for a sticker that I really could just buy for 50 scooners if i wanted too. Unless you live in towns like shamong, tabernacle, medford, atco, tuckerton, or anything that is through wharton state forest your fine... most cops around the area don't know the lift laws, nor could they really care.

I hear ya on not going. I know everything I run could pass the saftey end of things for the fact that my kids come everywhere I go but height is usually an issue. I grew up in Atco and now live in hammonton/Hamilton area so I have gotten messed with before.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
The MVC site still says nothing about the new inspection, and still talks about the safety aspect of it.... However, on june 30th my brothers friend took his acura RSX through inspection and all the woman did was the emissions and pass him. So the new inspection is in effect for sure, just weird they dont mention it online.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
i mean what exactly was cut out? b/c they have emission checks, but they removed what? brake check? alignment/suspension checks? tire check? e-brake check??

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
i mean what exactly was cut out? b/c they have emission checks, but they removed what? brake check? alignment/suspension checks? tire check? e-brake check??
everything that isnt emissions.... so like the headlights, tail lights all of that stuff

all they do is plug into your OBD II (or the tail pipe sniffer for OBD 1 and older) and send you on your way

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
everything that isnt emissions.... so like the headlights, tail lights all of that stuff

all they do is plug into your OBD II (or the tail pipe sniffer for OBD 1 and older) and send you on your way
I feel like NJ might be the next CA with emissions too. jersey air is horrible.

there are gonna be more POS cars in jersey now... This is giving almost anyone the right to drive totally shit vehicles. And not that i dont actually like this for myself, most of my vehicles if they are not inspection ready, they aren't unsafe or too far from inspection standards.

guess its time to bust out my 72 cutlass now tho :toothless

1 - 20 of 57 Posts