Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 doesn't want to go into 4x4. PO installed manual hubs. Hardly ever used but it did work until early this spring. Push the dash button and it clicks under the passenger dash but no drive or indicator. Any suggestions before I actually start pulling things apart? Hoping it's something really dumb I'm overlooking. Anything would be helpful as I know nothing about how this system actually works.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
sounds like it may be the electric motor on your transfer case.

·
Super Moderator
4,917 Posts
Eliminate one thing at a time.

With the transfer case in 2H.
Turn your hubs and then jack up each tire one at a time and spin it. They should each make the front drive shaft spin. If so, you know your hubs are working and the reverse is also true (the drive shaft spinning turns the wheels).
If not, something may be wrong with the hubs.

If your hubs are good, it's more than likely as mentioned above where transfer case motor isn't engaging / working.

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds electrical to me. Try looking up wiring schematics for your truck. If you have a known good DMM follow the circuits and do a few voltage tests. Your hubs should be fine if your light doesnt turn.

If your voltage readings are good test the motor. It's very likely. Just do little steps at a time and don't start throwing money at it. Test everything even if you don't think it's bad.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good News Update- got the new shift motor today. a few bolts later and the 4x4 functions. the low range doesn't engage however I think I know why. there are 3 wires from the back of the t-case to my old plug and open sockets for them in the new one. I'm assuming that this has something to do with my gear selection and when the low range can engage, does that seem right? any idea on how to remove these from the old plug and exactly what are they for? sorry to be a pain but I'm completely in the dark when it comes to anything electrical.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
figured it out. for anyone following the thread and doesn't know, there is an orange plug in the middle that acts as a lock. use a pick and pop it out. you will be able to see the locking tabs for each pin. simply use your pick to hold back the tab and the pin pushes right out.

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts
yo Z,

VG troubleshooting,
Wish I knew about the no low issue; but here is what you discovered anyway. for others;
1356 Electric Shift Motor Connector, Missing Pins in a 93; "...You have to remove those three wires from the old t-case motors connector, and put them into the new connector (naturally they have to go in the same places on the new). Just use a dental pick and release the wire from the old connector....then they should just click right into the new connector......like I said just be sure to put them in the same locations as they are in now on the new connector......there are three open holes on the new connector thats where they go..."
Source: by Streetgang (Steven F) at FSB
1356 Electric Shift Motor Connector, Missing Pins in a 95; "...I just went out and looked at mine. I have, at the Plug...10 wires total. Then, three of those wires go off to a seperate plug on the Tcase. The remaining 7 wires all go up in a bundle until they split and 4 go to the position selector, and three to the motor. So it looks to me like in Steves diagram, look in the lower right corner, you will see 10 numbered wires. #'s 1-3 are likely the ones that go to your motor. Check your wire colors. #'s 6-10 are position sensors, and 2 for the speed sensor, which are probably the ones that go into the tcase, so I would say you need those. wiring does not quite add up right, but the main point I think you need to check is that on your motor you got from JBG, at the connector, are there a total of 10 wires? If yes, then 3 of those will need to be spliced into your tcase 3 wires that you have..."
Source: by Shadofax (TheJuice, The Juice, Mark Z) at FSB
1356 Electric Shift Motor Connector, Missing Pins, Bronco & Ford; "...Carefully record wire pin positions. Using a suitable tool, release each sensor wire pin. NOTE: Some harnesses may have a center pin as shown in the sample graphic. If there is a center pin, it must also be transferred. Install wire pins in the replacement motor connector in the same position as in the original motor connector until they snap in place. Note that the sensor and harness wire colors must match. Verify pin placement, then replace red locking tab. This completes wire pin transfer. The white pins are the ones for the speed sensor that need to be transferred..."
Source: by CARDONE® http://web.archive.org/web/20100922045339/http://cardone.com/English/Club/Products/MOTORS/Protech/Tech_Bulletins/PT 48-0001.pdf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts