Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to go outside and scan codes just for shits when I realized that my check engine light does not turn on for a test when I turn my key on. Isn't it supposed to? Burned out bulb perhaps?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yes......if you turn the key to the run position without starting the truck, the CEL *should* light......and then after you start it the light should go off.

If you have no CEL at initial start up the bulb is burnt out or is missing.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Wait. Just hook a 12V test light from the DLC under the hood to a constant 12V source. If it proves out, then you know the dash bulb needs to be replaced. If it doesn't work either, there's no point in pulling the cluster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, I already had the cluster removed before I saw your post. Unfortunately for me, the bulb is in working order. What's my next move?

Additionally, what is the FUEL RESET light for in the dash? Does it light when the inertia switch is tripped?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't understand what I'm supposed to be connecting on the DLC. What should pin should I be connecting to the battery + through a test light?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put the cluster back in and now it works. Weird. Now, I also found out what that STO-looking harness inside the cab is...my chime pigtail and the box was in the glovebox from the PO. Thought it was a brake controller or something. :D

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Gack
STO is the CEL. The test light will mimic the dash light.

K
While it's fresh on your mind, you should pull the cluster again & polish all its terminals with brown paper or a red eraser. That's why it magically started working again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts