Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I buy this 1990 bronco 5.0 from a guy, he put a manual tranny (mazda 5 speed 4x4) in with the 4x4 shifter on the floor, wires are all cut underneath from the old tranny. OK I he told me the push button for the 4x4 on the dash wasn't hooked up so silly me tried pushing it anyway, I acted just like a kill switch when I hit it. Engine turns over but no spark @ coil, changed out coil thought maybe I burned that up, was running like a top before I pressed that button...I can't think of what would cause this, fuseable link? Short out the computer?maybe Ideas?

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
538 Posts
first things first man..did you check the fusebox for blown fuses?

·
Registered
538 Posts
step 1-check voltage at battery
step 2- does the starter engage and turn the motor over
step 3 does your fuel pump come on
step 4-do you have gas
step 5-do you have spark
step 6-is your distributor healthy/ timing ok

this is the basic list to start your truck...your problem must fall inside one of these steps.....find out what you dont have and start there

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually I know the fuel pump is ok

I can here it when I turn the key, and yes it does turn the engine over, just no spark @ the new coil I just put on today

·
Registered
538 Posts
If your motor turns over and you hear the fuel pump running your truck should start if you have spark and gas.....if your coil is new did you confirm voltage getting to the coil?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, that is where i think the problem is, so I started look at links, but I'm not sure there are any before the coil,

·
Registered
538 Posts
work backwards towards the battery until yu find the problem.....there must be a link or fuse that your overlooking unless you have a cooked brain or ignition module

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I'm thinking I cooked the brain, I didn't smell any burning wires when she died, but since that 4x4 switch wasn't hooked up she must have shorted at the weakest point, what do brains go for? 300 bucks?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
don't just replace your ECM, in fact stop throwing parts at it.

you need to pull codes to see wtf it is telling you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
the ignition module is usually on the fender wall..about the size of a deck of cards (with the heat sink attached)..mine is a 90 eddie bauer and the module sits inside a silver ribbed heat sink on the drivers side fender - goes for about 45 bucks at Autozone.

·
Registered
538 Posts
don't just replace your ECM, in fact stop throwing parts at it.

you need to pull codes to see wtf it is telling you.
jopes has a point...if you can get a diagnostic checker to the truck that would help

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I will do that, but if the brain is toast, I won't be able to pull them right?
then your right. spend money until you replace everything

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
jopes has a point...if you can get a diagnostic checker to the truck that would help
everyone already has a code reader. all you need is a peice of wire. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts