Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just recently bought a 1978 bronco ranger xlt. It has a brand new 400 big block and an original c6 automatic tranny with a slap shifter. Any ways me n my buddy did some minor work on it put the choke cabel in the dash, put the passenger seat in fixed the hood latch and put the door panels in. But now I tried to start it up today n the damn thing won't start. It won't crank and it won't start the battery is fine were sure its making connection and we tried banging on the starter still won't turn over. he did blow a fuse out when putting in the choke but that was just for the interior lights. Can anyone give me suggestions on what to check on the bronco please.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
To bypass all the wiring, and check the starter;

Using a set of jumper cables, clamp one end to the hot post of the battery, and TOUCH the other clamp to the post on the solenoid, where the cable going down to the starter attaches. You should get a pretty good spark, and the starter should engage. Do this with the key OFF, in case the neutral switch has been disabled, or is way out of adjustment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just for the sake of spreading the truth. the 400 is not a big block, technically it is a small block but it is unique so practically it is neither big block or small. My first guess would also be the solenoid, should be on the inside of your front right fender near your battery. I've had ford solenoids be bad right out of the box. try that bypass previously described and if that doesn't do it id check your ignition switch pigtail for shorts or melting.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
turn on your head lights and try to start it with someone watching the lights. If they go out your battery is far too dead to crank the engine.

If they stay bright and nothing happens. I would Go to the starter relay with a volt meter.

Two terminals. S & I the I should have 12 volts with the Key on. the S should have 12 volts with the engine cranking. Both are needed to start the engine.

You can also move the shifter to neutral and see if that is the cause.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts