Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
other than the high beam indicator. It works like a champ. With the time change I realized that the dash lights are nonexistent. My question is: are the lights built into the circuit board? Are there actual bulbs that can be replaced? The radio (aftermarket) also does not work, but it is so hacked up under there that it may be a separate issue.

The high beam indicator is bright as hell though!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have this issue. Sometimes my 4X4 HI and 4X4 LOW lights go out but the come right back on after about 30sec. I found that there is a way to fix this and I would have to pull apart the steering column to get into the dash to replace the bulbs. So I am going to have to deal with it the way it is for now. Until I have to do it that is. I am in a 1995 XLT by the way. So am I going to have to pull my dash as well?

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts
yo N.
This will assist you in a lot of troubleshooting; 79 Ford Bronco Wiring Manual by topsig at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/24302/83503
See Pages 26 and on

also fyi and Posterity:
Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR) in 78-86; "...The IVR can fail two different ways. it will quit working altogether, thus none of the gauges will work. Or two, it will stick, and the gauges will peg to the extreme right, then it will unstick and fall back to normal. The IVR is a pulse type. The voltage is regulated by how fast the pulses are. When it sticks, it doesn't pulse, etc... Try tapping on it. Make sure the cluster ground is in good shape. If the IVR isn't grounded or has an intermittant ground, it wont pulse like it should either. Rebuild it, see http://www.turbocoup.../ivr/IVR.htmold or,Suggest getting one from a Yard; Since there are about 12 different types, make sure to take the old one with you; Fits: 1971/86 F100/350; 1971/91 Econoline; 1978/86 Bronco; 1977/79 LTD II/Ranchero/Cougar/Thunderbird without Tachometer; 1972/76 Thunderbird/Continental Mark IV; 1971/72 LTD/Mercury Marquis for MOTORCRAFT Part # GR513 (D1AF10804AA, D1AZ10804A)..."
Source: by miesk5

Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR) Pin-Out pic in 78-86; "...Back in the early 60's when Ford originally decided to go to a 5 volt system for the instruments the electrical engineers were faced with the problem of providing the guages with 5 volts. To make a true voltage regulator with 60's era parts would have been extremely expensive and the final product would have been about the size of a bread box. No good for their purposes. But since the guages are a hot wire design that doesn't respond very quickly to changes, the engineers were able to fool the guages into thinking that they had 5 volts by pulsing 12 volts to the guages. With the technology that is now avalible the IVR can be replaced with solid state components that supply a true 5 volts to the guages and put a stop to the wild dance of the guages..." READ MORE http://www.turbocoup...vr/clster3a.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts