Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I went away to Iraq for a year so my truck sat for that time. I got the battery charged up, and put her in drive and it was horrible in power. There was an exhaust leak by the header, and felt like it wasnt running on all cyclinders. It smoked real bad off one (true dual exhaust) pipe, and sounded like it was missing (lots of shaking, and smelled of unburned fuel). I pulled all the plugs, and they were fouled on one side of the motor, and fine on the other. I tuned it up (plugs, wires, cap and rotor), the shaking stopped, and the smoke too. I thought it was cured now, but when I put the truck into drive it immediatly loses power and sounds like crap. I have a holley carb that is an old four barrel that probably needs to be rebuilt. Does that sound like the problem? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.:banghead

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
you only need one thread on the subject...others deleted....

and yes if the carb has been sitting for a year...its definitely going to need a rebuild...and drain all old fuel out of the tank too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drained the fluid out already..decided to check the firing order, and three wires were incorrect. damn. so fixed that, and adjusted the holley carb, the adjustments were screwed all the way out. go that right, then I heard a popping through the carb as I gassed the motor...is that bad?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, going to check the compression tomorrow, what would you suggest a decent compression should be on the meter?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
then I heard a popping through the carb as I gassed the motor...is that bad?
On a Holley ?

you bet it's bad. Too late this time, but for next time either run the carb dry of gas and/or pour enough Sta-bil into the tank.

As long as the readings are close to the same all the way across the banks, that's what you're looking for.

Over a year a valve stem can stick in the guide.

Sixlitre

1 - 6 of 6 Posts