Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tackled my front brakes this thanksgiving, didnt turn out as planned. Changed calipers and pads on both sides, bleed system muliple times. After brake change the petal goes to the floor with the motor started I cant even pump it to build pressure, with motor killed i have a hard pedal.....Any Ideas?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
did you let the master cylinder run dry while you swapped out the calipers?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I made sure I didnt make that mistake. Almost Pos that its not air in the lines. Ive bleed multiple vehicles before and never had trouble. I dont know where to start??????

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
did you gravity bleed the calipers before doing the pressure bleed? were you sure that the bleeder was closed before the pedal was let up?

check over the entire system for other leaks. i've seen vehicles blow rear lines and wheel cylinders while bleeding the front brakes. they are two seperate systems. while you don't feel you're applying full force to the pedal, the rear brakes will still get full pressure when you're bleeding the fronts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not gravity bleed the new calipers. I did pull the back drums off and check the cylinder no leaks on either side. I dont think its a leak somewhere because the pedal will pump up hard and stay that way with the truck off. Correct me if im wrong but that "proves" the system is sealed??? No leaks

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
you got air in the system. i'm betting on it.

if it was fine before, and is fubar now, i put $5 you got air in the lines.

gravity bleed it, all 4 corners. RR, LR, RF, LR, in that order. 5 minutes per corner. then pressure bleed it at all 4 corners.

unless your MC decided to take a shit, but i doubt that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Positive bleeder was closed. How do I check the Master I know my booster is ok because It will hold a vaccum after the motor is killed. Im at a lose on bleeding, never have I had a problem like this. Other than air in the system does anyone have any idea, something has changed, brakes worked fine before the new calipers. I have to be overlooking something

·
Registered
616 Posts
Their is a left caliper and a right caliper, you put them on the correct side?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
didnt pay attention. lol OMG would it make a difference? Will they even go on the wrong side?

·
Registered
616 Posts
You can put them on the wrong side and that puts the bleeder at the bottom
I know this is bad but cant remember why....:scratchhe

Maybe it sucks when its upside down instead of pushing fluid out...

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
I know this is bad but cant remember why....:scratchhe

Maybe it sucks when its upside down instead of pushing fluid out...
no, air floats. that's why the bleeders are supposed to be at the top. air is gonna end up on the high spot of the component.

OP make sure you got the calipers on the correct side.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I did not gravity bleed mine though, I tried to bleed mine for 2 weeks straight and wasted 2 bottles of brake fluid before I gave up, and let my mechanic do it the right way. :doh0715: I should have tried the gravity bleed. I've done other brakes too, but this Bronco would have nothing of my normal methods.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Any issues with the proportioning valve below the power booster near the firewall, check the fittings for tightness....?

Usually when the pedal goes right to the floor it's the MC loosing pressure where the O ring on the piston insdie is worn and fluid passes over it.

If it's not the calipers mounted incorrectly then I would pull the master cylinder and "bench bleed" it and see what happens then re-bleed the system using TheUnforgven's sequence or Haynes Manual otherwise it might need to be replaced.....:doh0715:

Let us know how it turns out!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a bunch guys..... with your help i got it fixed this morning. Parts house gave me two right calipers. Bleeder screw was on the bottom on the left side. Cant believe i didnt notice that. KISS. put my old caliper back on, had a hard pedal even before i bleed the system. Ill be taking it back next week. Just sucks to have to start over again, o well its fixed. Thanks alot maybe this post will help someone in the future that makes my ignorant mistake.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Cool deal! Glad its fixed.

You can put them on the wrong side and that puts the bleeder at the bottom
I battled with this when I did mine 6 mos ago. I usually just hold a caliper up to the rotor and there is usually a difference. Its hard to see the difference on Ford if you dont know what are looking at. I went and consulted with my veteran mechaic neighbor. He explained the air theory , so I got them right. The clutch slaves for the ZF5 tranny's are hard to bleed while on the truck. Most of the time the clutch line has a snake in it that makes it next to impossible to bleed on the truck.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
great news! thanks for letting us know the fix. many don't, and leave people in the future going "wtf did you do?!" :thumbup

·
Registered
580 Posts
Gravity bleeding is simply opening up all of the bleed valves. While doing this keep an eye on the MC so it doesnt run dry. You are just letting the fluid fill the lines w/o any pressure assistance. After you run a pint out of everything then close the bleed screws. Bleed like normal starting with the farthest bleed valve from the MC. This will be the RR. Then go to the LR-RF-finishing with LF right underneath the MC. Sometims I do the bleeder on the equalizer block too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts