Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from a lurker.

I have an 80 F150 I am converting to EEC-IV. Then, once it is running the cab/drivetrain will go on the '96 Bronco sitting out back with the stuck engine. After 5 months of put this here solder that, I got to hook up the battery today and crank it over.
i don't have power on the in tank or the inline fuel pumps. I've gone through the connections and everything checks out (I am pretty sure...) EEC seems to be holding them out.

MY question - the check engine light is a LED with ballist resistor. Could this be not what the EEC is looking for and holding out the fuel pumps or ? ( I have noted several references to "...you gotta have the check engine light hooked up...)

I have been meticulous with the grounding and connections and documented and doubled checked ever step. I am a master electrician and do industrial controls for a living. it shouldn't be this tough...

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Kevin Taylor
In the middle of Nebraska

OK I did a stupid, I didn't reset the inertia sensor, but I still don't have power to the pumps. I guess in the morning it will be trace it out, again.

KT

B

·
0 Posts
Jeez, Good luck!
I believe there is a way to test the fuel pumps at the eek4 self test plugz. Perhaps you've tried that? Hopefully Ryan, fireguy50 can chime in here. I don't have your expertise nor his.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
check engine light is no big deal, it will run without it. If it could run ;)
Only reason to have a check engine light is so you can check engine codes. Have you checked for codes yet?
Important questions:
what computer are you using?
What harness are you using? junkyard wiring?
What wiring diagram did you use?

You are using a fuel pump relay right?
Do the fuel pumps prime before you crank?

Here is my EFI wiring harness web page:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/harness.html
it might help you find the problems without yahoo's like us :D

Pin 22 grounds the fuel pump relay to activate it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"questions:
what computer are you using?
What harness are you using? junkyard wiring?
What wiring diagram did you use?

You are using a fuel pump relay right?
Do the fuel pumps prime before you crank?"

Good Evening,

All the stuff was reportedly pulled from a '90 mustang. the computer is an A3M computer, and the harness is from the same vehicle. I have the ford motorsport harness install manual and just recently your web site for reference. Wish I had found that 6 months ago, Very nice job there by the way.
Yes I am using the fuel pump relay, and no they don't prime/runbefore crank.
I made some wrong assumptions wiring it in. (i.e. the DG/Y wire on the green connector is not the power supply to the pumps, it is a point that is connected along with the pumps.) I will have to look at it again in daylight. the fact that pin 22 grounds to pull in the relay is very helpful. I tend to have a switch the hot mind set.

thank you both for the input, I let you know how this progresses.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
A3M is a 89-93 manual transmission computer

the DG/Y wire on the green connector is for feedback purposes for the computer. Hook that wire up with the fuel pump power after the inerta switch :thumbup

Before trying to start the truck, try to run the fule pumps manually:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/images/selftest04.jpg
turn the key to run and stick a grounded wire into the "fuel pump" pin :thumbup

sounds like you are close to being okay :beer

·
Banned
19,707 Posts
Boy, am I glad I grabbed a WHOLE truck engine compartment harness when I did mine - it went smooth as silk!

(...except for cranking power to the EEC & the stuck injectors.) :eek:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no fuel pumps continued

today I worked on the engine off and on. It's getting colder and supposed to snow tonight. Hope not.

I now have power to the fuel pumps in both crank and run. But... I don't have a running engine. went to chekc the check engine light and there is none. and so it goes. If it doesnt snow tonight I will probibily work on it more this week end.
If it is a bad winter I may take the harness out and rebuild it. I don't have a lot of confidence in it's integrity.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My direct correlation of the week;

Just because you hear the fuel pumps run, doesn't mean there is gas getting to the fuel rail....

Some days my stupidity scares even me.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
For test purposes run power straight from the starter relay to the fuel pump. If it starts up then worry about tracking it down.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe it was one of Fireguys questions
Do the fuel pumps prime before you crank?
That for some reason I didn't let the full meaning sink in. Yeh, the pumps would run a bit to "prime" before cranking.
I didn't take that one step further to just think "Are the fuel pumps priming?" It hit me mid stride at work the other day. :twak
At this point I ahve an in tank pump primed and moving fuel. it gets to the change over/pressure reservior thing and doesn't come out the other side. I am assuming that its age and inactivity in the junk yard have gummed it up and it wont change over on its own. BUT... Typical of Nebraska, the first and second were 55+ degrees but I was occupied with other things. Now today I planned to work on the truck and it is 20, and snowing harder now. :cry

thanks for the suggestoin Gub_ni, I did bypass everthing and pull the schrader out of the fuel rail to check for fuel and worked back from there.

I gotta get a garage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts