Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 Bronco (351, EFI) it has been parked in a snow bank (the temp. has between 0-30 degrees F) for the last three weeks, when it ran great before. I tried starting it and it sputters and then stalls out. I have to wait a while because it won't start again. Then when it started I held the gas down for a minute or so (at around 1500 rpm). then it idled and sputtered out.

A year ago I replaced the idle air control value and the TPS, because i was experincing a similar problem but not as bad. I also was having a check engine light on.

I put some dry gas in my fuel, thinking i had some moisture in the tank. I also replaced again the idle air control value, but this time it fired right up and idled for 15 seconds before it sounded like some engauged and then it sputter out.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked my codes (using an Actron tester) i am not sure if my uses 2 or 3 digit codes. It seem that mine uses three because i have a total of 25 number (1 seporates the Key off engine off and the continous memory code, then codes are sent twice). But the it seems that the number came as pairs then a single number and so on.

Here's my read out:
11 6 63 6 11 4 11 6 63 6 11 4 1 33 4 33 4

On the two digit code system: 11=system pass, 63=TP sensor has low voltage, 33=EGR sensor indicate EGR valve not opening or not proplery closed.

On the three digit code system: 116=engine coolant temp sensor has a high or low voltage, 636=transmission oil temp sensor has a high or low voltage, 114=air change temp sensor has a high or low voltage, 334=EGR sensor has a higher voltage meaning it's closed.

It makes more sense that I have a three digit system.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
im not one of the upper engine guys but when mine didnt start I got your codes simply because its cold out ( i think)... your truck has a 3 digit code, forget any two digit translation. your truck may have ( probably does) stored codes which give you more info. Just ground out the single connector by the brake resevoir and count the cel flashes when you turn the key on. Many search answers on this. after koeo 15 sec then other memory codes which are probably the ones you are after. the cel is "practicaly useless" if your truck wont start. koer seems to be what is needed. and the first signal should be 3 blinks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a stuck open EGR valve. I took a chevy starter shim and put it between the gasket and manifold. After that it fired right up and idled prefectly. So I am soaking it in SeaFoam trying to clean the carbon out of it. If not then I will get a new one.

Thank you for all the help and tips with pulling the codes out the computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts