Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1990 bronco's driver side door wont lock. Any thing i can do aside from ripping the door apart?

·
Registered
869 Posts
chevysuck said:
my 1990 bronco's driver side door wont lock. Any thing i can do aside from ripping the door apart?

so what is your address again??? :toothless

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do it, i'll hunt ya down

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I had the same problem. My door lock actuator froze up. I couldn't lock the door at all. Not only would the actuator not lock with the lock button, but I couldn't lock it manually from the inside by pushing the lever down or from the outside using the key.

Temporary solution was to drill out the rivet on the side of the door to release the lock actuator. It is below the latching mechanism. Then I purchased a new actuator from ebay for about $23 including shipping. Beats the dealer price of $169.

James

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
1990 Ford Bronco said:
I had the same problem. My door lock actuator froze up. I couldn't lock the door at all. Not only would the actuator not lock with the lock button, but I couldn't lock it manually from the inside by pushing the lever down or from the outside using the key.

Temporary solution was to drill out the rivet on the side of the door to release the lock actuator. It is below the latching mechanism. Then I purchased a new actuator from ebay for about $23 including shipping. Beats the dealer price of $169.

James
too bad you didnt know me then james I get them for 8$

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can get them for $8, where is that, and can u please help a fellow bronco owner out and get me that price?:deal

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
1clean5.8 said:
too bad you didnt know me then james I get them for 8$
:duh Is that a factory one or aftermarket? I'm gonna be in the market for another one soon for the pass. side as it is showing the same symptoms as my driver side.

Dustball said:
Sad thing is that I've seen trucks with that on the doors around here.

James

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Yes i can use 2 of them to both of mine are froze. I avent locked my doors in 3 yrs now.

·
Registered
319 Posts
well its nice to know that some good in America is still left, my "hood" is not terrible, but u gotta watch your butt still, there are still a few dirtballs out there

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
marv said:
I leave the keys in the ignition when I go to town....:shrug
It would be nice to live in a small town.

James

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
chevysuck said:
you can get them for $8, where is that, and can u please help a fellow bronco owner out and get me that price?:deal
I do some car audio on the side a have a dealer in phoenix that sells me aftermarket ones they work just the same but you need to take the factory bracket out Ill snap a pic for you tonight. show you what they look like.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
marv said:
I set them in the center console in plain veiw or on the passenger seat, its to stop the chiming;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
marv said:
ha, so do i and just take the door key. but only for less then 30 mins :wacko

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
whenever my truck is nice and muddy- i like to "finger-write" a little warning on the body panels :YOU TOUCH, YOU DIE...
most people walk away after they see the baseball bat ion the rear floorboard also...
silent intimidation...
ace

·
Registered
179 Posts
chevysuck said:
If you really want to lock the door right you have to 'rip into the door'. It's really easy and following some of the advice on here you should be able to fix your problem.

If you are kinda lazy about it you could shoot the side with 00 buck and throw some red paint in one spot in the middle of the shot. Make it look like a head shot. You could even get some chicken bones and poke out of the holes so it looks like skull fragments! I don't think anyone would f*ck with the horse then.

good luck
clay

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I replaced my door lock cylinders on the 94 with brand new units due to a similar problem.

When I took my door panel off to examine why my key did nothing in the driver's lock cylinder, I found that it was not my lock actuator that was bad, but the small white plastic piece that is normally attached to the lock cylinder was the culprit. The white plastic piece connects to the back of the lock cylinder and then is secured to the one metal rod that also connects to the lock actuator assembly. The white plastic piece that comes with the lock cylinder was actually busted. When you inserted and turned the key, the cylinder, would not lock or unlock the door at all, because that white piece was no longer connected to the lock cylinder due to it being broken.

I went to Auto Zone and ordered a new door lock cylinder set. When they called and said the lock cylinders were in, when I picked up the package, it was a "NIEHOFF" box. Inside of that box, there were (2) black door lock cylinders w/ the white plastic parts attached to them, 2 new genuine Ford keys and the key tag for locksmith purposes. I was really surprised that I received genuine Ford parts from Auto Zone! I specifically ordered the black set too in case anyone is wondering.

So, for those that are having door lock issues, check the back of each door lock cylinder and see if that white plastic part is still attached or not.

~~~

While on the subject of lock cylinders, I also replaced my ignition lock cylinder too. I purchased that part from Advanced Auto and it was a black lock cylinder too (again, I picked the black one instead of chrome). The lock cylinder came with 2 keys, but they were not original Ford keys, just the "plain" keys with no Ford logo.

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
i like the head shot idea.
my locks work- but i might do that anyways just for added effect!!!!
ace

1 - 20 of 22 Posts