Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wanted to share with you guys that I painted the top on my 95 today. After 16 years of sitting outside it was faded to an almost dark grayish nasty color.

I used S.E.M "color coat" in Landau Black.

I used their product called Vinyl Prep (a cleaner) and also what they call Sand Free (an adhesion promoter). Both are an aerosol.

I used the same system about six months ago to paint the vinyl top on an old Buick I'm restoring. It has held up great and I had a couple cans left over so I decided to do the old Bronco. Looks like new. Only problem is that the rest of the truck still looks 16 years old, rust and all. LOL

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took some but its really cloudy here and they didnt turn out very well it was hard to tell how much of a difference it made. I will add some later if I can

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
SEM is awesome stuff!

·
RAAAAAH!
937 Posts
The top is not that heavy. But it is very big an awkward.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I was pretty impressed with myself. lol The paint is a little pricey like $11 a can. The cleaner and ad. promoter was cheaper. Only took about an hour after masking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks great. I need to do this for my top. How many cans did it take all together? At that price I'm trying not to order too little or too much if I can help it. Also did you prep your top at all i.e. sanding etc? My top in its current condition you can see the fiberglass strands where the paint has worn down so I'm thinking it needs some prep before spray painting.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used just under two cans and got two coats on. I left a little in the last can in case I need to do any touch ups. I didn't do any sanding. Because of the natural texture of the top and the SEM adhesion promoter I don't think its necessary. I do suggest thorough cleaning with soap and water and the SEM cleaner before applying the paint. Even after washing it the SEM stuff took off a lot of left over black crud. Good Luck

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like I said I painted a vinyl top on a Buick Im redoing about 6 months ago. It sits outside and still looks great. I researched painting vs. dying etc. before I did that and most people agreed SEM paint was the best choice.

·
Registered
145 Posts
did you take the top off and paint it or was it still on?

i need to give the top some love in the next year or two.. it's starting to look a little aged.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts