Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 Bronco does not have a muffler! It has the exhaust stuck right into the catalytic converter. Will this mess with my backpressure? What kind of problems could this cause and what should I do?
Thanks,
FunkyPuppy:shrug

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Depends on the diameter of the pipe...
If it's not too large...it shouldn't pose a problem...IMO

:beer
Bill

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
well if you are trying to create more backpressure, just slap the stock muffler back on it! thats backpressure right? i dunno about this whole backpressure creating more power issue, if that is sooo true than why do people change there exhaust atall? i have talked to two exhaust shops ho both take it as personal opinon. i mean, i think i might have lost some lowend grunt but i really just think its all in my head, i mean i dont even know how that engine in my truck without the exhaust!(i put that enigne in at the same time as the exhuast)

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Stoked said:
well if you are trying to create more backpressure, just slap the stock muffler back on it! thats backpressure right? i dunno about this whole backpressure creating more power issue, if that is sooo true than why do people change there exhaust atall?
stock one provides too much backpressure and restricts smooth flow. a good system will have backpressure, but not a lot of restriction (like the packing crap thats in your factory muffler). single 3" is good for most of the trucks on this board, duals are a waste of money IMO unless you have some serious money into your engine.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
single 3" is 7.1sq inches
dual 2.5" is 9.8sq inches

So dual 2.5" is better than a single 3"
Do you need it?
Does it limit ground clearence?
Do I have a point?

·
Registered
316 Posts
i have a dual 2.25 set up welded up into peices and waiting for a muffler to before it gets welded on to my Y. i will check out borla, only problem is they dont have any distributors up here in maine...

back to "funkypuppy"'s origonal question...

"My 91 Bronco does not have a muffler! It has the exhaust stuck right into the catalytic converter"

ummm is it just me or do stock bronco exausts go from

headers -> Y -> cats -> muffler

so if your exaust goes right to the cat then you dont have a muffler on the backside is what you are asking???

·
Registered
316 Posts
i ran that for about a week, just straight piped through the cats, you get an increase in overall power, as im sure you have noticed, and a very hick feeling when downshifting :toothless
but your overall engine performance will suffer with the lack of backpreassure and you will not have very much lowend torque.

you will be much surprised with the improvements over straight pipes with a performance exaust system

·
Registered
23 Posts
I talked to a few exhaust shops and the general idea is that less back pressure = less torque but more horspower. Thats why race cars run open headers..... more horsepower. the less back pressure also raises the motors powerband higher in the rpms

1 - 15 of 15 Posts