Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so, i just got a running 351 in my bronco. Ive had it in there since january, and ive been running it every week or two. IVe had no problems at all since i put it in, oil pressure has been great.

This weekend I went to do my thing (turn it on, let it run a bit) and i let it run longer than usual, probably about 20 minutes. When i went to turn it off i absent mindedly glanced at the dash and the oil pressure gauge wasnt reading anything, neither was the engine temp gauge. The "Check Engine" light wasnt on, and it was running fine the whole time. I was mocking up the exhaust and heard nothing bad. I shut it down and havent turned it over since.

So... since the check engine light wasnt on, does this mean that oil pressure was actually fine? Like i said, i ran it for 20-30 minutes, would the block be able to run that long with zero oil pressure?

·
Registered
777 Posts
One of the things that make noise is the lifters. when you have no actual oil pressure, the lifters run out of oil, and start clacking pretty bad.

If you had no secondary indications such as overheating, and/or noisy valve train, I'd change the sensor first, and start it up and see what happens. Or, buy an inexpensive mechanical pressure gauge and hook it up and see what the pressure is.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is what i figured. I have a rythmic tick from a leak in my header gasket. I can always hear that and have been able to regardless of oil pressure. There was no noticeable clacking that i could hear coming from the engine.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
started it up again today and got a reading from the oil and temp gauge... weird...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Nah, not really weird. Ford factory gauges are notoriously neurotic. You should see some of the shit mine do. Friday, I watched my modified-to-work oil pressure gauge bounce high to low, swinging the entire normal range several times, all while going the exact same speed and direction. :brownbag

1 - 6 of 6 Posts