Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 1991 ford bronco for 500 bucks. runs great, but took it up to the hills today and when i put it into 4wheel high and no power. I would have power and then no power, have power and then no power. any 1 have any ideas:banghead

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm going to assume you have a electric shift t-case but you need to be more specific, shift lever on the floor or push-button on the dash?

·
Registered
616 Posts
When you engauge the lever are you pushing down and then letting up and seeing the "4x4" and "low range" lights come on in the instrument cluster? Do you feel a slight thud as each light comes on also?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes both lights come on when in high and low. no thud shifts smooth. it only happens in high, low works great. what happens is the motor will rev up and i will have power for a few seconds and then no power. it keeps doing this the whole time that i am in high

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
ARE YOU SAYING THAT THE TRUCK IS LOSING POWER OR ARE YOU SAYING THAT THE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE IS ENGAGING AND DISENGAGING??????????? IF IT THE SECOND ONE YOU MAY HAVE HUB PROBLEMS.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you could describe "losing power" in more description, Is the motor bogging down and acting like its gunna die?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no it dosent want to die, i have the pedal to the floor and it feels like you r at idle, and then it revs up and i get power. It keeps doing that over and over. it really happens on a incline

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
pull codes, even if the check engine lights not on, there could still be codes.

any lift? bigger tires? gear ratio(on door/axle tags on diff cover)

how many miles on engine/what engine /miles since last tuneup?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no lift, 32" tires. it has 90,000 on the motor, have no idea about last tune up. it only does it in 4wheel high, other than that runs great

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
no lift, 32" tires. it has 90,000 on the motor, have no idea about last tune up. it only does it in 4wheel high, other than that runs great
right there, i would do a tuneup plugs wires cap and rotor, bet they are dew, and is 90k documented(or did you do the engine swap)? if not for a $500 bronco its possible it could have trips over and has 190k miles and the 302 is getting tired

fordfuelinjection.com is down,

so
http://www.broncoii.org/techpages/eeciv/index.htm

pull codes, don't need a voltmeter, just wire the plug as shown and its on the drivers side next to brake booster(a paper clip/small wire will work) and count the check engine light flashes,

·
Registered
616 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level in the transfer case. Only doing it on an incline leads me to believe maybe its low...:shrug

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level in the transfer case. Only doing it on an incline leads me to believe maybe its low...:shrug
wouldn't make difference, but if its full, and the tranny fluid is low it won't go any where.(and then the tranny rear seal is leaking)

still would check it though:thumbup

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
188 Posts
Is the tranny downshifting? Is this a AOD tranny or manual?

If it is in high gear in 4wd when it needs to be in lower gear on a hill and doesn't shift down when you floor it, it will be a dog for sure. This would explain why it didn't happen in low range only high range.

It sounds like AOD linkage adjustment issues. Check to see if it is indeed downshifting and starting out in lower gear after slowing down and not stuck in high.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts