Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 Eddie Bauer, 302, tow package. I just bought the rig primarily for towing a boat. But, I cannot get the trailer plug ins to work, there is no juice to any of the pins. Either the 4-prong flat, or 7 prong round. I have done everything I can do to fix, am stuck. Checked the fuses, relays wiring harnesses. What am I missing? I would really appreciate some help with this. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
96 Eddie Bauer, 302, tow package. I just bought the rig primarily for towing a boat. But, I cannot get the trailer plug ins to work, there is no juice to any of the pins. Either the 4-prong flat, or 7 prong round. I have done everything I can do to fix, am stuck. Checked the fuses, relays wiring harnesses. What am I missing? I would really appreciate some help with this. Thanks.
You have Both?:scratchhe
My 94 came with the tow package and it has just the 7 way round socket. Did someone splice in a socket or something? This may sound stupid but are you sure you're testing it right and do you have the key on? Only the accessory curcuit on the 7 way socket is powered without the lights on and only when the key is on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Brake, tail and hazard should work without the key.

How is your ground? Are you checking with a test light/voltmeter. If not, do that, check each pin to the carbody.

I agree with pfun, I've never seen both from OEM, just one or the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have Both?:scratchhe
My 94 came with the tow package and it has just the 7 way round socket. Did someone splice in a socket or something? This may sound stupid but are you sure you're testing it right and do you have the key on? Only the accessory curcuit on the 7 way socket is powered without the lights on and only when the key is on.
Thank-you. I did not have the key on. But, I did have the headlight on, and the flashers on. Logic would dictate that if the rear tail lights to the Bronco were working, the trailer lights would too. That is the way it is with my other rigs. So, what if you break down on the side of the road at night? Doesn't sound like the flashers would work if you had to leave the vehicle. Weird

Anyway guys, thanks a bunch. Solved a problem for me, can go fishing in the morning now. (I would have gone anyway, but this way I don't have to worry).

And yes, both flat and round, (and they are now both energized). And, it looks like a factory job, but who knows, huh? Just glad it is working. :rockon

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Thank-you. I did not have the key on. But, I did have the headlight on, and the flashers on. Logic would dictate that if the rear tail lights to the Bronco were working, the trailer lights would too. That is the way it is with my other rigs. So, what if you break down on the side of the road at night? Doesn't sound like the flashers would work if you had to leave the vehicle. Weird

Anyway guys, thanks a bunch. Solved a problem for me, can go fishing in the morning now. (I would have gone anyway, but this way I don't have to worry).

And yes, both flat and round, (and they are now both energized). And, it looks like a factory job, but who knows, huh? Just glad it is working. :rockon
Things slip my mind sometimes. I know the accesory power only works with the key on.
Does the socket say "Ford" on it?

·
Super Moderator
26,086 Posts
yo,
FYI,
96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

Some EXCERPTS;

Section 18-01: Wiring and Circuit Protection

1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cab, Motorhome Chassis, and Bronco Workshop Manual

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

Trailer Towing Package Wiring

Vehicles equipped with the trailer towing package have the following additions to support the trailer wiring:
•A set of relays in engine control sensor wiring (12A581) (Bronco) or engine compartment (14A346) (F-Series) and connector on the rear lamp wiring (14405), located in the rear bumper area.
•The trailer feed wiring (13A576) is supplied with the vehicle and installed at the time of pre-delivery.
•Vehicles are equipped with a wiring feed, located under the instrument panel, for a trailer brake control unit.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
Pinpoint Tests, Trailer Towing Package Wiring

Symptom Chart, Trailer Towing Package Wiring

Electrical Schematics, Trailer Towing Package Wiring

---

Relay Box Diagram in a 95
Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at http://broncozone.com/topic/21047-1995-bronco-fuserelay-question/page__gopid__110336&

Relay Box Location in 92-96; to the right side of the Power Distribution Box under Hood, driver's side next to air filter box; miesk5 note, squeeze both sets of tabs together & lift cover off.

pic by Steve

Trailer Tow Ground Wire Location Diagram in a 96; from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cab, Motorhome Chassis, and Bronco Workshop Manual
Source: by Ford via http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/stj/stji1015.htm

·
Registered
69 Posts
yo,
FYI,
96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

Some EXCERPTS;

1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cab, Motorhome Chassis, and Bronco Workshop Manual

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

Trailer Towing Package Wiring

Vehicles equipped with the trailer towing package have the following additions to support the trailer wiring:
•A set of relays in engine control sensor wiring (12A581) (Bronco) or engine compartment (14A346) (F-Series) and connector on the rear lamp wiring (14405), located in the rear bumper area.
•The trailer feed wiring (13A576) is supplied with the vehicle and installed at the time of pre-delivery.
•Vehicles are equipped with a wiring feed, located under the instrument panel, for a trailer brake control unit.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
Pinpoint Tests, Trailer Towing Package Wiring

Symptom Chart, Trailer Towing Package Wiring

Electrical Schematics, Trailer Towing Package Wiring

---

Relay Box Diagram in a 95
Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at http://broncozone.com/topic/21047-1995-bronco-fuserelay-question/page__gopid__110336&

Relay Box Location in 92-96; to the right side of the Power Distribution Box under Hood, driver's side next to air filter box; miesk5 note, squeeze both sets of tabs together & lift cover off.

pic by Steve

Trailer Tow Ground Wire Location Diagram in a 96; from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cab, Motorhome Chassis, and Bronco Workshop Manual
Source: by Ford via http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/stj/stji1015.htm
This is why I don't understand why they key being off has anything to do with the trailer lights. Only lights that should affect is the turn signals. Stop, tail and hazard should all work without they key, just like on the vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, this should put this thread to bed. After replacing both tail lights on the trailer and the trailer plug, all the lights now work as they should, even with the key off. Don't know how that came about, maybe the inside surface of the female plug was simply corroded from non-use, and it took a few unpluggings to work it out. Anyway, even with key off, emergency flashers and running lights now work. So, thanks for the tips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts