Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 79 auto all forward gears ok but no reverse, changed fluid checked linkage, it feels like its in 2 gears locked and bogs down when put into reverse, any clues?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Disconnect the linkage and manually put the trans in reverse. If its a no go, you need to drop the pan.

See if you have any pieces of clutch in there. Assuming you have all forward gears, your shift linkage is on correct, and nothing in the VB is sticking....you may have burnt up the reverse clutches.

Drop the pan and report back. You can also apply air pressure to the different ports as well to make sure everything is functioning correctly, but the valve body has to be removed to do that.

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Look into the vacuum modulator as well. I don't think you can lose reverse if it is faulty,but, I know it can mess with shifting if clogged or old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i'm in the same situation. sort of. it's not like don't have reverse at all... reverse is there. if i gas it right as i'm shifting into reverse i get reverse. if i shift into reverse, check back to make sure im not going to run anyone over, hesitate...etc...etc, then i have no reverse. also, when that happens and i floor it i can get it to move backwards but it goes super slow. all other gears work perfect.

90-351-e4od-4x4

i have yet to try removing the linkage and see if i can get reverse that way. when i had the pan off for a fluid/filter change the other day i noticed nothing out of the ordinary. fluid was nasty and burnt smelling but there weren't any pieces of metal or flakes or chunk that shouldn't be there. i haven't had the vehicle very long, i was told by the person i bought it from that the trans has 30Kmiles on a rebuild.

i'm going to try the adjusting the linkage but does anyone have any other ideas off the top of their heads?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts