Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
84 Bronco, 351 W, C6 Trans.
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently had my 351 w rebuilt for my 82 and I am having an ignition issue. I have been able to confirm that I have spark making it to the ignition wire in the distributor, but no spark to the spark plug.
I have replaced my distributor cap, ignition coil and module.
What am I missing?

· Registered
1988 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0 four speed auto Raven black with red interior
168 Posts
You said you replaced the cap coil and module. What about the rotor button under the dist cap? Funny question here but you did put the rotor button back on the dist under the cap right? if you're questioning that then look around where you laid your parts down. It's probably laying there ask me how I know...
If it is there then while you have the cap off pull your coil wire off so you don't get shocked and make sure the rotor is turning as the engine cranks over and double check your timing.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You said you replaced the cap coil and module. What about the rotor button under the dist cap? Funny question here but you did put the rotor button back on the dist under the cap right? if you're questioning that then look around where you laid your parts down. It's probably laying there ask me how I know...
If it is there then while you have the cap off pull your coil wire off so you don't get shocked and make sure the rotor is turning as the engine cranks over and double check your timing.
not quite sure what you are asking. I did replace the rotor as well. That was just two screws. Is there something I’m missing?

· Moderator and Scrounger Extraordinaire
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
19,799 Posts
@AbandonedBronco may have an idea... He has been through an HEI before. Otherwise, robb with z28 in his name would probably be the one to know about a chevy part!

· Super Moderator
5,578 Posts
I had this issue on mine, and it was kind of obscure. But who knows, maybe it's what you're dealing with?

I kept having mine die on me randomly, and then wouldn't start. I'd fight with it, and fuss with it, and finally it'd start again. Only to randomly die again at an unknown time.

When it was dead, I verified power to the unit, but there was no spark at all.

All it turned out to be was that the spade connector inside the plug that shipped with the HEI was very loose. I popped it out of the plug and slipped it over the terminal, and it could flop around. Sometimes it'd touch and work and other times not.

Auto part Fashion accessory Metal Slide sandal Titanium

I squeezed it down with a pair of pliers so that it had a good bite and put it back together, and it's been trouble free since.

· Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
2,641 Posts
I had this issue on mine, and it was kind of obscure. But who knows, maybe it's what you're dealing with?

I kept having mine die on me randomly, and then wouldn't start. I'd fight with it, and fuss with it, and finally it'd start again. Only to randomly die again at an unknown time.

When it was dead, I verified power to the unit, but there was no spark at all.

All it turned out to be was that the spade connector inside the plug that shipped with the HEI was very loose. I popped it out of the plug and slipped it over the terminal, and it could flop around. Sometimes it'd touch and work and other times not.

View attachment 207420

I squeezed it down with a pair of pliers so that it had a good bite and put it back together, and it's been trouble free since.
I had a similar problem on my Camaro back in the day as they say. My throttle linkage was bumping the 12v wire that goes into dizzy under the cap and it pulled it off just enough that it still looked connected but it wasn’t. So make sure it’s ON the terminal and not wedged between or on the tach lug instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the help. Still no spark, though.

here’s a list of what has been replaced or confirmed:

1. New distributor cap, coil, rotor, and module.Rotor bushing Included

2. Resistance at magnet pickups 0.941

3. checked all connectors to confirm a good fit.

4. Good ground confirmed

5. spark is getting to distributor, but getting lost somewhere within.

anything else? I’m not sure where else to check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts