Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I know. Currently running a massive older model Mallory performance series dizzy. I have nice consistent blue from my ignition coil to the dizzy cap. But there is no spark coming out back out from the cap. There appears to be a burn mark/carbon track on the rotor which for now I will be assuming is the problem, though I don't know for certain. It is a very tiny mark on the piece of plastic underneath the metal contact in the center of the rotor. Also, the rotor does appear to spin when the engine is cranking over so the dizzy itself is OK. The rest of the inside of the cap was clean, and the rotor itself was pretty clean aside from the one burn mark. My guess is that the rotor was somehow grounding itself to the shaft. Went ahead and ordered a new one from Goodies down in SJ. Getting it on Monday. However, I do have a bit of back story which may or may not affect this. I have a physical ignition switch connecting to the starter relay, so when I have my key in the ignition and set to run, I flip the switch on to start her up and then flip it back off as soon as she starts up. On this particular time, I flipped her on, thought I flipped her back off and revved the engine a bit to warm her up, and then realized when the revs went back down the starter was still going and a there was a mess of mechanical noises. I quickly flipped the switch back over. I let it run for maybe 10 seconds with the starter on. I waited a bit longer, and let her continue warming up and everything seemed okay. I drove about for maybe 5 minutes, and then all of a sudden the engine just stopped. All my electrics were still on, but the car just rolled to a stop. I had to push the car to a side street where it is currently parked in a quiet neighborhood. Didn't have many tools with me so I couldn't do too much testing at the time it crapped out on me. Ended up giving up around Midnight, and had to catch a bus home. I'm wondering if having run the starter so long that it could have possibly screwed with my timing, though I'm not sure if that's even possible. Aside from the rotor cap, that's all I could imagine being off. Going to check the ignition coil with a multimeter tomorrow. Any suggestions or things I should be looking for?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I have nice consistent blue from my ignition coil to the dizzy cap. But there is no spark coming out back out from the cap.

Spark goes from the coil into the center of the cap, and is distributed through the rotor to each of the pins inside the cap through the wires to the plugs.
Pull the cap and check to see that the rotor spins while cranking. If so, check to make sure that the center of the rotor is contacting the cap.

Also make sure that your coil wire is firmly seated in the cap.

·
Registered
255 Posts
check center of cap make sure carbon rod or ball is there and good. it makes contact with rotor to create continuis power to your plugs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts