Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here we go, I bought a new Ron Francis factory engine wiring harness and installed it plug for plug. I don’t have spark, I bought a new coil for nothing because I thought that was it. So one of my questions is this, I painted the bracket the coil mounts too does the coil ground out to the engine through the bracket or is it something else? Thanks for the help in advance. The old plug that went into the coil had 3 wires but only 2 connectors so 1 side had 2 wires into it. This new one only has 2 wires. Not sure but I don’t think the company really messes up on the factory harnesses

Attachments

· Registered
1,201 Posts
I would certainly assume it grounds through that bracket. Run a wire from one of the coil screws to frame and see if you get spark ...

Good job by the way . That looks great

And for what it's worth . My 91 coil has 2 wires

Years ago I had a code 212 which I was sometimes getting no spark. I looked through many wiring diagrams over those years 87-91 and I do remember there were different wiring diagrams ......and the difference was in how they utilized this certain resistor.

That resistor was my problem . I wouldn't be surprised if your extra wire was involved in the negative coil side which is where that resistor is . I Hope that make sense

Reactions: Calibronco90

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definitely try to hook up a ground wire to the coil tomorrow, I did paint my intake and valve covers with like 5 coats (primer/color). Might need to scratch where the screws go. I’ll have to open up my other harness to try and trace were the second wire went. Thank you for the info. I’ll check back in the am with an update.

· Registered
1,201 Posts
Yeah , like I tried to describe above... ford changed some things regarding that resistor on the negative side of the coil. And that made different wiring diagrams for a few years . (Extra wires and tees in different places)

the resistor itself will be in the main loom right above the power steering pump general area.

Do you have a tachometer ?

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah , like I tried to describe above... ford changed some things regarding that resistor on the negative side of the coil. And that made different wiring diagrams for a few years . (Extra wires and tees in different places)

the resistor itself will be in the main loom right above the power steering pump general area.

Do you have a tachometer ?
so after looking at the engine for 30 min I checked continuity through the new plug that was installed to the plug at the coil, there was nothing so I traced the color wire to the TAD and wahla there it was. So I checked the other new plug and it had continuity to the coil plug. So in the end it was a plugged in the wrong plug so it now works and fired right up. Thanks for the help riggs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts