Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys I've read through several threads on this issue. A little history on the bronco.

1995 EB 5.8L
SAS HD 44
10.25 rear
ABS pump and such removed
ABS light has always been on since SAS

A while back I replaced the TPS because the idle was erratic. Just idling it would run about 1200 RPMS then when driving the RPMS would get up around 2500-3000. Replaced the TPS and resolved that issue.

About a week ago my son took off in the bronco then called me a few minutes later saying the speedo, odometer were dead and it was shifting hard. So I got FSB and read a few threads. I did change out the VSS in the rear but no change. Like I said I've read a few threads but thought I'd post one due to mine not having the ABS system in due to the SAS.

Also pulled some codes but can't remember them. I think 452 was one. I'll pull them again tonight when I get home from work.

There was one that had something to do with no power or low voltage to TPS or something along those lines.

Anyone else have this issue with the SAS and no ABS?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has anyone messed with wiring anywhere? Anything loose, loose connectors? Also check fuses FIRST. Start with the codes and checking ALL fuses properly, then look at and re-seat any related connectors.

·
Super Moderator
24,182 Posts
Yo Mike,
I've been trying to catch up!

See my and Mikey350's posts @ 93 Bronco Hard Shift Code 452

And see 93-96 4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass for PSOM Operation by Turboghost in my Blog @ 93-96 4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass for PSOM Operation

Yo @Miketnf150
VSS. "The one from Ford fit perfectly and solved that aspect of my problem. There was a difference in the way they tightened against the differential. The autozone one got pulled at an angle and the Ford unit went in straight."
I have autozone, etc FAULTY VSS Sensor sources in my Defective Parts Listing @ Defective Parts Listing

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you checked fuse 8? Power for the PSOM goes through it. All of that will happen if that fuse is blown.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes, the fuse is good
If you have a blank odometer and no speedometer, it means there's a problem with either fuse 8, fuse 18, their circuits, or the PSOM itself. Fuses 8/18 directly power the PSOM. PSOM plays a large part in the transmission shifting, I'd pull the cluster and make sure you have power/ground on the PSOM connector.

PSOM pinout is below. Pin 1 corresponds to fuse 8 and should be hot at all times. Pin 3 is tied to fuse 18 and should only be hot in run. Ford's pinpoint tests say if both of those are good to replace the PSOM

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the power wire to the self dimming rear view mirror chaff and short against the windshield trim. Once i found that, all was good. A ton of things on that same circuit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Last year in Moab, my 92 (5.0) CEL came on and my truck was shifting horrible. Turned out to be the MAP sensor. Replaced that and it ran fine since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok guys I've read through several threads on this issue. A little history on the bronco.

1995 EB 5.8L
SAS HD 44
10.25 rear
ABS pump and such removed
ABS light has always been on since SAS

A while back I replaced the TPS because the idle was erratic. Just idling it would run about 1200 RPMS then when driving the RPMS would get up around 2500-3000. Replaced the TPS and resolved that issue.

About a week ago my son took off in the bronco then called me a few minutes later saying the speedo, odometer were dead and it was shifting hard. So I got FSB and read a few threads. I did change out the VSS in the rear but no change. Like I said I've read a few threads but thought I'd post one due to mine not having the ABS system in due to the SAS.

Also pulled some codes but can't remember them. I think 452 was one. I'll pull them again tonight when I get home from work.

There was one that had something to do with no power or low voltage to TPS or something along those lines.

Anyone else have this issue with the SAS and no ABS?
I had the same problem I found out there are two speed sensors. The speedometer and the vss at the rear. They both send info to computer and tranny. I replaced the speedometer and the problem fixed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Definitely check your #18 (or whatever on your '95 controls the electronic shift module/speedometer) fuse above the hood release area just under the dash. Mine has done this a few times too. The fuse was fine, but the connector inside the fuse panel was loose and coming off at the back where the wires come in. Had to use a hook tool to hold the connector in place while I put the fuse back in.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input fellas. I've not had a chance to look into it yet. I'm in the middle of a remodel and found out my rim joist and sill plate are rotten due to water getting inside the walls. As soon and I have time and can check it out I'll post up what I find.

By all means keep the input coming though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts