Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i decided to power wash my engine bay and chassis today. i just wanted to clean up my truck before i started a sas swap. soo after i finished spraying it down i started it up and it started fine but after about 30 seconds it died. i couldn't get it to start again.

so i am not getting any spark and i think it needs a new ignition module could i have damaged the module or is it just a coincidence it failed after the wash?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
What year Bronco ? Is it a Bronco ? Is the cap and rotor wet underneath ?

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Check again, it needs to be completely dry. Id be willing to bet that's your only issue.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
That happened to me once on my 95. Problem was my air filter was soaked and it screwed up the mass air flow sensor. I'll never use high pressure again on a vehicle with lots of sensors, relays etc under the hood. Like liltimmy said check the dist doesn't take much to screw em up

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can you here your fuel pump turn on? If not you got the relays on the drivers wet. I have done this and it does not take much to corrode them. there like $10-15 just replace them

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had this happen a few times after a car wash, Usually what would happen was water would leak down onto the ignition coil and get in the connection there.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I work at a car dealership, and after the used cars get a safety inspection they go to detail before they go on the lot. Those idiots screw up soooo much crap. All kinds of crazy problems after they clean the engine bay.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can you here your fuel pump turn on? If not you got the relays on the drivers wet. I have done this and it does not take much to corrode them. there like $10-15 just replace them
This happened to me so many times on my 91 5.0 pickup, if you know your cap and rotor are dry, it would be my next guess...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
found the problem. it was a bad wire from the coil the the distibutor. it was arching to a rubber hose had a nice size hole in the wire.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I consider powerwashering a easy way to find a problem in my driveway as opposed to the middle of a creek or wash. I'd rather find out about old crusty electronics or vaccuum in the comfort of my garage any day of the week...
Matter of fact. I'm ordering a new shift sensor for the tranny right now because of this. I feel lucky.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
I consider powerwashering a easy way to find a problem in my driveway as opposed to the middle of a creek or wash. I'd rather find out about old crusty electronics or vaccuum in the comfort of my garage any day of the week...
Matter of fact. I'm ordering a new shift sensor for the tranny right now because of this. I feel lucky.

Well done. Like they say, every cloud has a silk purse in the bush.

Or something...........

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i guess there was so much resistance in the wire it was easier for the spark to jump to the rubber hose which was wet at the time. i think i still have the wire lying around i could put it back on a take a shot of it arching.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts