Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a head swap, after it has been sitting for 3 months...
go to try and start it, with starter fluid, no go... possibly bad gas? Also, i have the inner and outer fenders off, nothing is bolted on, like starter solenoid and voltage regulator, could that be a reason why the turn key is not working? Brand new starter solenoid... Anyways when i go and try and start it with full choke on, it pushes gas and air mixture up out of the carb... Had to charge the battery, possibly not enough juice to get it to start, gonna try and use jumper cables after i get a couple replies.:popc1:

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing??I believe they do need to be grounded?
did you pull you dist at all? sounds like you're 180* off?
but ya know it is hard to diagnose from here??

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
The voltage regulator as well as the ECM (ignition control box, driver's side) both have to be grounded in order to work. You may damage them if they are not grounded and you start the truck up.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Ditto on all of the above. If it did not start with ether something else is wrong. 1st thing to do is ground the electrical items. The voltage regulator does not need to be grounded to start the Bronco only to charge it. 2nd thing to do is check for spark. If you have a very weak spark I'm going to say your 180 out. It can still pop thru the carb being off on your timing but it should almost fire off. Double check the spark plug wires and remember CCW roatation on dizzy and #1 cylinder is the front passenger side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
if its rolling over the selinoid must be laying against metal and getting ground but like everyone else said,bolt everything up in its place and check for fire and feul.nearly everything on these trucks have to have ground to work.if it gets both and still wont start its most likely either 180 out or the wires are mixed up

·
Registered
30 Posts
another thought.the heads you put on,are the studs threaded all the way down by chance?if so you might have some rockers to tight.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never moved the dist.. i will try grounding everything.. other then that, i think i have low amperage on the battery and bad fuel going through.. hopefuly thats it.. and hopefuly i hear this loud son of a bitch start tomorrow. It would make me so happy to hear this thing fire up and just purrrr

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Number 1 wire should go left rear of center on the dizzy right? Getting fire coming out the carb, never moved the dizzy but jsut trying to make sure the wires are right

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
#1 wire will go to where the rotor tip is pointing when you have the harmonic balancer on 0 degrees.

You can stab a dizzy in with the rotor pointing to the #8 cylinder for all that really matters. As long as the #1 wire starts where the rotor is pointing it will start up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got her started, silly me, didn't realize wires were incorrectly on not in firing order, man this thing purrrs, too bad the neighbors son is asleep, wanna hear this thing more then just a few seconds. Thanks for all the help guys, now gotta do an oil change and get the anti freeze out, and let those headers burn off all that crap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts