Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bah! The one thing my truck has had going for it is that it always starts, without hesitation. That changed today.

This morning, it took a few more cranks than normal. I drove around a bit and ended up at a friend's shop. I went to start the truck to pull it into the shop and it took the longest time since I've owned the truck to crank over. Got it in the shop bay and just barely nudged the timing. Took a long time again to start. Once started, idled fine. Went to drive over to the office, and there was a distinct miss and a sublte backfire out the exhaust. when I went to go home, it wouldn't start at all. Intermittantly, I'd get a sputter, but nothing. There's gas, and compression, but it seems there's no spark.

I am no mechanic, so I come to you, Lords of the Bronco, for advice. I need a game plan here. Where to start, etc...

OH! also, I don't know if this is even a big deal, but the strap that holds the coil down tight is not bolted anymore. Would that do anything related to this?

Thanks for the help. I hope you all don't get sick of my stories and problems.

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
something failing possibly.. no spark to any plugs, to coil dizzy or ??
might be better to say ignition instead of timing .. sorry

·
Registered
19 Posts
well strap the coil down and try again but most likely it has died R.I.P. test to see if you get spark from the coil with a screw driver by inserting it into the boot coming from the coil and get close to a ground source (dont shock yourself it doesnt feel good!!!), if you get no spark from the coil check the positive and negative wires going to the coil for power and if they have power try replacing the coil and if you do get spark check the rotor in the distributor for oxidation etc. hope this helps

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well strap the coil down and try again but most likely it has died R.I.P. test to see if you get spark from the coil with a screw driver by inserting it into the boot coming from the coil and get close to a ground source (dont shock yourself it doesnt feel good!!!), if you get no spark from the coil check the positive and negative wires going to the coil for power and if they have power try replacing the coil and if you do get spark check the rotor in the distributor for oxidation etc. hope this helps
absolutely! thanks man. :thumbup this is why I come here! Should I upgrade the coil while I'm at it? If so, any recomendations?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Could be the power enrichment valve on the carb went bad. This will dump fuel in the carb so it runs real rich. By bumping the timing, you compensated for the extra fuel. Since the engine back fired, you probably blew the valve out as this is what will really kill them.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
There's gas, and compression, but it seems there's no spark.
What do you mean "seems there is no spark"? There either is or there isn't.
First thing to do is check for spark at the plug or see if you have power at the coil as stated.

Need to figure out if it is electrical or fuel related.

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ranger, sorry, I should have been more clear, there was no spark at all.

Its been resolved now, but there were two factors at play.

1. The coil was dying and not giving me the spark I needed.

2. One of the 3 wires coming out of the dizzy was frayed and kept grounding out, giving me my stumble and backfire.

New aftermarket coil, fixed the wiring and she fired right up! :) I advanced the timing up to 14, and she runs phenominal! best ever!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts