Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda...

When I did the 3G swap, we sparked something and initially it wouldnt start. So we jumped the starter solonoid relay thingy on the fenderwell, and from then on it started with the key just fine.

Well, today at work, it quit workin by key again. So now I gotta jump it every time. That doesnt seem like it could be good at all :duh Can that cause damage doing it too much?

Any ideas whats up? The truck reacts the same in every way but cranking, the guages lights react the same and all, just no cranking.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i'd try tapping on the solenoid and then starting it the solenoid might be bad or sticking, when you say jump it you mean jumping the solenoid correct?

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Check the power from the yellow wires at the large plug at the firewall (brings 12V to the ignition switch). Get under the dash and check the 2 yellow wires at the ignition switch, they should have 12V at all times.

The ignition switch circuit to the starter relay is a red/light blue wire. Since you have a manual t-case, I believe the only other switch the red/light blue wire goes is to the MLPS on the tranny. IIRC.

So backprobe the wires and find out where the power stops. This is assuming you are not getting power to the trigger wire at the starter relay.

I searched Steve83's wiring diagrams and couldnt find a starter diagram...

-Will

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with Jeramiah as I had this problem. In fact, I tried saving a few dollars and buying the soloniod from auto-zone, advanced auto and Oreily...all three of them failed/stuck in the first two weeks. In the end, I went with NAPA and haven't changed it since. This was six months ago.

Spend the $20 at NAPA.
~Jeff

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
That's the first thing you should check. If that wire has 12VDC with the key turned to start then the starter relay is bad. If there is no voltage there when turning the key then there is another problem in the starting circuit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts