Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 89 EB 5.8, and I seldom use 4WD, but when I do, it makes not a grinding sound, but like a metally spinning kinda sound, just in 4WD, do I have to do my spindle bearings maybe, the front diff is full, I just pumped out and replaced the fluid. Its done this noise the whole time Ive owned it. Doesnt seem to hamper the performance any, just wondering bout it. Anyone experience this problem?

·
Registered
203 Posts
try the ujoints there the only thing that really moves that you would get the sound from and you have five to choose from. the spindle bearings are moving all the time that you drive the truck weather it is 4 wheel drive or not.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
It's probably just your transfer case, it is chain driven. Don't worry about it.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,197 Posts
If it has auto hubs then I would start there as they are junk. My auto hubs did make noise so I changed them out to warn premium hubs. The auto hubs were blown. Noise resolved

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
The axle shaft bearing inside the spindle is common, and it will make that sound. First thing I would do if you don't want to tear it down yet is take the front drive shaft out and drive the truck around with the hubs locked and the T-case in rear wheel drive. That will isolate the T-case and drive shaft, so if the noise is still there you'll know its in the axle itself.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
try the ujoints there the only thing that really moves that you would get the sound from and you have five to choose from. the spindle bearings are moving all the time that you drive the truck weather it is 4 wheel drive or not.
The spindle bearing is inside the spindle and merely supports the axleshaft, and it will not be doing anything unless in 4WD and the shafts are spinning.

In any case, I agree with Mike that you should pull the front driveshaft first, and then lock the hubs as this eliminates driveshaft slip joint, Ujoints and tcase, and centers the issue likely somewhere in the hubs, in which case it's probably the spindle bearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts