Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BW1356 manual shift TC (302 and C6). I heard a knocking sound, that to me sounds like the sound large straight cut gears make (like "tock-tock-tock-tock"). I raised the rear end, put the tranny in neutral (TC in 2wd) and turned the driveshaft by hand, and the noise seemed to be coming from in front of the driveshaft, definitely not a u-joint or rear end.

I had recently changed the TC fluid (filled with ATF), so I thought maybe I messed something up and it didn't have enough fluid. But I parked on level ground and removed the fill plug, and it was full. I thought maybe I used the wrong fluid, but all the searched I pulled up said to use ATF.

I searched here for info about the sound, and found a bunch of threads regarding a grinding noise, but it's not like that. And the frequency is definitely dependent on the rotation of the driveshaft, it speeds up as the vehicle speeds up (and not with engine revs, or gear changes).

It seems to work fine in 4wd lo and hi, I tested it by driving on a deep soft sand road, I didn't notice anything unusual (aside from the noise).

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Don't drive it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are so many threads on the topic it's hard to figure out exactly what I need. What parts should I definitely replace? I'd like to have what I need before disassembly.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Do you have Auto Hubs? Are you sure that the (possible) autos are not taking a dump (which is common) and making the tock, tock sound from the hub area?

If so, try backing up to unlock them or it may be time to replace them with manuals. If you are sure that it is the Transfer Case, then soldier on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brand new Mile Marker manual hubs. I also just had work done on the front (new bearings, new right wheel hub, new axle nuts/washers).

I'm not sure it's the TC, that's just where it sounded like it was coming from with my head under the drive shaft. To me I thought it sounded like a u-joint, until I turned it by hand while under there.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Easiest way to find out if your ecentric took a dump is to drain your tc and look around for bits of metal or rubber hose in there. If the exentric did take a dump the pump will not finction and will heat up all the bearings and do alot of damage to the inards. If it did take a dump the cheap rebuild kit is all you need (the one without a chain). It will have all the parts you need to make the repair and some extra goodies like new seals and such. It was about $80 ten years ago when mine went.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured I'd start with the cheapest/easy stuff and move to the more expensive/hard stuff.

After describing the sound to someone they said "you sure it isn't the u-joint?" So I replaced both u-joints and the centering yoke at the double Cardan joint (I had replaced the rear u-joint about a year ago). The sound went away. I guess the sound was carrying and projecting from the tc. Several other noises and vibrations are gone too, that I didn't realize were related. Rattling when I hit bumps and vibrations/hums at certain speeds, it's all gone and my ride is much quieter and smoother (still rough and loud, but much better than before).

The centering yoke hose a grease fitting, how often should I grease this and the u-joints?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts