Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '86 Bronco with an 8.8 locker diff. that has a worn ring and pinion whine, which will stop when I let off the accelerator. This is a junk yard rear end I put in more than 5 years ago. I doubt I would find anything better in a junk yard as everything there seems to be worn out. I am aware that I can buy a new ring and pinion, but I am wondering if there is any benefit in trying to adjust the wear out of the pinion shaft bearings. This rear end has a crush spacer for bearing adjustment. Has anyone done this and if so did it quieten things down?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You have been driving it for 5 years this way, why change it now?? If it is whining then its prolly just the R&P and who's to say that its "worn out" hell you can put in a brand new FRPP gear and if not set-up correctly will whine.

and the crush sleeve is for pinion bearing preload not the adjustment. there is a shim behind the big pinion bearing for adjusting pinion depth.

If you want to try and move the noise add .003"~.005" to the pinion shim and this will move the noise + or - 20mph. This is trial and error, but it will move it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Personally, I'd just swap it out with a junkyard 9-inch with the same gear ratio. WAAAAY tougher rear end, and easier and cheaper than messing with the 8.8 R&P. Will also make any future problems with the rear diff much easier (and cheaper) to fix. Spring perches should line up all the way back through early 70's trucks, and '78 & up Broncos.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pop the cover off and look at it, check the wear pattern on the R&P. How many miles are on the rear, it may just be time for a rebuild. You can do a new R&P and all new bearings for about $220, not sure how much a complete jy rear would be, I know I paid $300 for the one in my mustang.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was not aware of a shim. I see by the exploded diagram that it is between the gear end and the inner bearing. Looks like a big job to put it in. Would the "punkin" have to come out? I guess I would put in a new ring and pinion if I have to take the old one totally apart. If I were to adjust the preload to take care of any pinion bearing wear, would I be moving the pinion away from the ring gear, and if so would that be likely to increase or decrease the noise?

This is just a daily driver, so what I want is piece and quiet, not ruggedness. I don't know the mileage on this junk yard rear end, but it was less noisy than the original when I first put it in, however the noise has increased over the years. The radio is about as loud as tolerable, and it and conversation is becoming a challenge to hear. I was hoping for a simple fix, other than saw dust as an additive, which I have been told works pretty well.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
hey if you need a gear guy i have a buddy in norfolk who could hook u up price wise. let me know if you want to talk to him. i would just rebuild the rear to ensure more years to come

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey if you need a gear guy i have a buddy in norfolk who could hook u up price wise. let me know if you want to talk to him. i would just rebuild the rear to ensure more years to come
Thanks, but I don't think I want to put the Bronco in the shop in the winter. Winter is the Broncos most useful season. The way my luck runs, that might bring on a snow storm. I'll probably wait until summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts