Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 97 Ford Taurus SHO with v8207 cubic inch i have no idea of the tranny

Latley the battery is not getting a charge anymore, but it is a brand new battery and its been tested and its okay, and the alt is okay as it continues to run when jumped

Then the tranny just died a couple of hours ago, with out warning the just quit. and he needs this car fixed asap, and we cant (and he wont) take it to a mechanic to have it checked.

i told him to get a manual for it, which he wont.

is there anything i can check for when i go to look at it tomorrow?

This car has got my mind a bit boggled on why it just did that, it shifted fine before that.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I've never heard of a 207 CID V8. Your reasoning for the alt working doesn't hold water. How many volts is it putting out when it is running?
What do you mean by the tranny just died?

If your friend is too stubborn or cheap to take it to either a mechanic or even get a manual for it than tell him good luck for me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
if hes too cheap to buy the manual how did he ever buy a car?

·
Registered
173 Posts
First problem, alt is junk, almost gaurantee it. The tranny thing is a little different, being a SHO is it manual or auto. If manual check the fluid in the clutch master cylinder. If auto guess what, check fluid!!!, Next if he is scared of a mechanic, can't fix it himself, and won't even by a manual for it, tell him his muffler bearings are shot and the headlight fluid is low, and the motor and tranny are junk and should be replaced yesterday.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Sounds like a the Voltage Regulator may not be working properly.

The 207 is that sidewinder V8 made for the SHO. I think it was partially designed by Yamaha(?)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I believe thats the SHO with the 3.4L 32 valve DOHC V8 which i think only came with an automatic. Check the battery cables for a short, but good chance skumandeth is right and the alt has crapped out.
Jay

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
JaysBigBronco said:
I believe thats the SHO with the 3.4L 32 valve DOHC V8 which i think only came with an automatic. Check the battery cables for a short, but good chance skumandeth is right and the alt has crapped out.
Jay
I just googled it and they actually do make a V8 that small, wow, learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its the auto 3 spd tranny in it, im gonna look at it later today (im at school :sigh: )

according to him the fluid in the tranny is black as hell, so mabey a flush?? the other thing that got me thinking is that he has no gears forward and reverse and he has been say how the cv joints were bad on it to start is. is it possible for both cv joints to break rendering the car immobile? cause according to him when it happend is that the car made a loud bang and a sound of which metal breaking, and that happend in forward and reverse gears.

The alt idk, as the car runs fine on the alt alone after you disconnect the battery, i thought that was a test to see if the alt worked or not. cause its getting enough power to run the car and the accessories in the car.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he really wants to get the car fixed, im helping him, he wants to this weekend drop the tranny and have it rebuilt by a tranny shop in the area. i told him about the alt on what may be wrong with it.

If he can get it fixed that will be a good learning experiance for him. as he just got the car from his parents, (just bought it from them) so he wants to get it road ready(ie drivable) for when he gets his license in a few weeks.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
A ford taurus is a dime a dozen. This is too big of a job for someone that is still wet behind the ears. Buy another one, and when that one breaks down, and needs major repair, buy yet another.

Just thinking here, V8, front wheel drive....must be very tight in that engine compartment.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
waltman said:
A ford taurus is a dime a dozen. This is too big of a job for someone that is still wet behind the ears. Buy another one, and when that one breaks down, and needs major repair, buy yet another.

Just thinking here, V8, front wheel drive....must be very tight in that engine compartment.
You ain't kidding about tight. My mom had a '95 Continental with that DOHC V8 in it, and there wasn't enough room to do anything. You had to pull the motor to do the rear plugs. What a pita.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The alt might put out enough juice to run acc. but, it obviously doesn't have the juice to recharge the battery at the same time. Black fluid wonder when they started making that :scratchhe It would only take one cv coming apart to make that car immobile unless some one welded the diff. And boy this guy better learn to maintain a car before he even considers doing anything major. (I forsee in the future in somewhere USA a Taurus SHO, in pieces, sitting at a parking lot of some unfortunate shop with a very sad mechanic staring into a mess caused by a kid that doesn't know where the oil dipstick is)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol

he knows his way around cars (at least to maintain it) he just is too lazy to do anything in the words of maintaining it.

Im gonna check the CV joints tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts