Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

noob needing advice

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  GHOSTRIDER 
#1 ·
hi all,
i just purchased a 1990 bronco XLT with 116,000 miles a 351w and all the goodies. i plan on flushing out every fluid on this beast tomarrow. I used the search function but i couldnt find what i was looking for.i know this is most likely a repost but what type of fluids do you guys run in your engines, trans, tcase and axles? I belive i have the E4OD and the 1356 Tcase. everything is stock so i assume that it is a 44TTB and 8.8 with no trac lock. I looked over the owners guide and found how much everything holds but not what goes in them. thanks in advance and sorry if this is a repost.:scratchhe

#2 ·
Pick whatever fluids you want really...but before you do the flush, do a search for "seafoam" on here...run that THEN do your flushes... also i'm planning on installing a remote transmission fluid filter (also a write up on here somewhere)

you might as well since you're draining everything

#6 ·
id would seafoam first. i seafoamed my truck... it ran a whole lot better. search on here for it- youll see how many people swear by the stuff.
ace

#10 ·
belts and hoses look fine. im located in the mountians of VA. we have cold winters(30's 40's) and hot (90 degree) summers. i know i should get a cooler but its just not in the budget.
looking over some of the posts i think im going with 80-w90 gear oil but what do i run in the tcase and trans?
thanks guys;)

#11 · (Edited)
broncoorboat said:
run synthetics

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....synthetics are good for a brand new engine (rebuilt etc) but for an existing engine, synthetics are so thin, that you will get leaks from every gasket on the thing...I agree with them...sea foam it, run it, and drain it....then take a good look....dont change just because somebody else did....

#12 ·
GHOSTRIDER said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....synthetics are good for a brand new engine (rebuilt etc) but for an existing engine, synthetics are so thin, that you will get leaks from every gasket on the thing...I agree with them...sea foam it, run it, and drain it....then take a good look....dont change just because somebody else did....
First off let me say to RUbronco to use the search and use it a bunch......KEEP reading.

About the use of synthetic engine oil in older engines. I dont concur with the "too thin" theory. I do agree that the chances are high that it will start to drip oil though. I think its caused by the better flow properties combined with the high detergent contant....the syn will break down any small sludge deposits that by this point are "sealing" a potential leak....and thats where it will start to drip. Its just my theory though.....I have no hard facts to back it up.

RUbronco..........did I say you need to use the search and read your ass off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.