Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Total noob question on engine removal and where to loosen transmission bolts. 1980 Bronco, 351M, C6, NP-208.

Just about got everything loose. My original plan was to loosen transmission insulator bolts to get some vertical flexibility. The benefit was that since the mounts are presumably in compression that loosening them wouldn't cause a change in transmission/t-case position. But, the rubber appears to be stuck to the washer/nut face, and I'm afraid I'll twist it off and make a mess without doing a bunch of work trying to free the rubber from the washer face.

So the second idea was to loosen the two screws attaching the transmission foot to the support. I know they'll loosen up, but was concerned the t-case my tilt the transmission back a bit, especially as the engine is freed from the transmission.

Is the transmission front-heavy enough that the t-case can't tilt it backward? If so, perhaps I can loosen said capscrews while supporting the front of the tranny with a jack. Get the engine up with the hoist, keep the jack in contact with tranny, and separate the two? Just don't want an unexpected transmission/t-case movement when the engine is separated.

Thanks.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,809 Posts
When I did my engine work, it didn't occur to me to loosen the transmission first. That didn't seem to incur any issues, although I did have a well-documented devil of a time lining the engine back up due to the bad surface level I was working on. Perhaps having the tranny loose would have alleviated some of that alignment headache?

I'm not familiar with the C6, but if it's anything like the E4OD, it outweighs the t-case by about 3:1. That weight difference should keep it pretty well planted on the crossmember.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I did my engine work, it didn't occur to me to loosen the transmission first. That didn't seem to incur any issues, although I did have a well-documented devil of a time lining the engine back up due to the bad surface level I was working on. Perhaps having the tranny loose would have alleviated some of that alignment headache?

I'm not familiar with the C6, but if it's anything like the E4OD, it outweighs the t-case by about 3:1. That weight difference should keep it pretty well planted on the crossmember.
Tks much. I looked again and the crossmember is essentially at transmission rear. Got to imagine the transmission/t-case center of gravity is to the front of the crossmember. Think I’ll loosen those two cap screws and be prepared with a jack to support tranny bellhousing as engine is floated forward. Thanks for chiming in and keeping me sane.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts