Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my '84 Project Bronco was coming around. Cats & Muffler were rusted out, so got replaced and she was runnin good and quiet. Last night decided to put in new plugs and clean carb for upcoming emmission test. Today won't start. What did I screw up? Seems like getting no spark. Today I bought new wires, cap, rotor to remedy situation. Could I have screwed something up with use of Carb cleaner? Maybe flooded engine, how do I get her up and runnin again.

I tried search but it seems nobody else has made my stupid mistake:banghead

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
Seems like not getting spark? Did you check? I doubt the carb cleaner had anything to do with it, unless you sprayed the whole can in there.Make sure the firing order is right, and your coil wire is attached.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Order should be good, only swapped one plug at a time. If I flooded it or something how do I get it to fire up? I sprayed about 20 seconds worth.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
well if it is flooded out. then get some starting fluid. try that. but 20seconds worth shouldnt have flooded it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I check the coil pack for spark without shocking the hell out of myself? I remember pulling off coil wire and noticing some moisture in there, but it was working with no probs before.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Check everything, then double check it. You have to have missed something.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Coil pack? You were just talkin a new distributor cap and rotor button, and now you're asking about a coil pack? What kinda vehicle are we talkin about?

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
you say it doens't start... but it turns over just fine, right? Any chance at all, that you might have forgotten to install the new rotor? To check for a spark, get yourself a screwdriver, and sitck it in the end of one ofthe plug wires. While holding it within 1/8" of a metal surface - valve cover, accesory bracket, etc, have a friend turn it over a few times. If there's a blue/white spark, the coil is good, if there's an orange-ish spark, the coil is weak, and should be replaced

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I meant the ignition coil...got confused with coil packs on another car.

Going to try screwdriver test and go from there, hopefully I'm overlooking something.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Cool! No big deal. Do like David said to determine if you are getting spark. If there is no spark at the plugs, then stick the screwdriver in the end of the coil wire and do the same thing. That will tell you if it's the coil vs. the cap and/or rotor. Even if the coil got wet, you may be able to dry it out and try it again. Get some rubbing alcohol and clean up the connections, and then dry it off with a hair dryer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turned out to be the ignition coil, I checked with the screwdriver had very weak spark. Replaced it, and everything seems good. Haven't driven to far yet, though.

Thanks again!

Where I can find the fuel filter on '84 351W, 4b carb. ?

Also seems to idle high when in Park/Neutral around 1,100-1,200 rpm and drops to around 800-900 in drive/reverse. Is that too high? If so how should I adjust it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Project'84 said:

Also seems to idle high when in Park/Neutral around 1,100-1,200 rpm and drops to around 800-900 in drive/reverse. Is that too high?
Mine does the same thing. Sounds a little high but I wouldnt worry about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts