Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first truck was a new 92 EB, but I let it go. I guess your first car will always be special, so lately I've had the urge to find another one.

Searching through the posts here was very helpful as learned what issues to expect and which ones to run away from. The most practical advice I found here was to figure out what you wanted (year, trim, options, mods) and be patient.

I made my wish list and tried to dig in and resist buying something less:

After a couple weeks I found the one. 96, black EB, 5.8, no lift, good interior (drivers leather seat is just starting to crack on outside edge), good body - no deep scratches, no rust, and 47K miles. The truck has lived on a horse farm in central GA for almost 15 years. Farmers wife drove it for most of those years. It wasn't perfect, despite body being in great shape, clear coat shows its age in some spots, and at $5K, it was more than my target price. But it seemed to run well and most everything seemed to work as it should (power tailgate window switch needed replacement, but window worked with the key so I knew it wasn't the motor). I drove it home 150 miles that day.

The owner was very honest about how he maintained it. Regular oil changes, one change of tires, new wiper blades and not much else. So its got 15 years worth of overdue maintenance .

I had my local mechanic do a more thorough inspection - new trans fluid / filter, coolant system flushed, fixed oil leak, new drive belt, new vacuum line, new front rotors, new tailgate window switch (motor good, drivers switch bad), new ABS sensor (this went out just as I driving out of the mechanic's lot). Wasn't thrilled with all of the above, but anticipated after 15 years it was going to need more than just an oil change.

While he was in there replaced the coil, rotor / cap, spark plug wire, and advanced the timing (I gave him the parts, he printed out sixlitre's guide and took care of the install). I got the truck back yesterday and today I swapped out the stereo - new head unit, new front / rear speakers. Tomorrow am replacing the inner / outer tailgate weatherstripping.

Thanks again to everyone here at FSB.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,190 Posts
Hey, congrats on the truck. :thumbup You're right, it's amazing all the good info these guys have added to this site over the years. Finding the saginaw pump swap convinced me.

·
Not Frilly.
951 Posts
Glad you found such a clean truck, and that amount of maintenence not having been done over that many years is amazing that it was still in that good of shape mechanically... now PICS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now for the obligatory pics...

I was tempted to try and remove the wind deflectors around the driver / passenger window, but I've been told installers typically roughed the paint underneath to get a good hold for the sticky tape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts