Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just recently got into the market in buying a bronco.
Im most likely getting a late 80s model
Basically need help on what to look out for such as where rust spots are and any issues I should keep an eye on.
Also any good online stores? I like to lightly mod the bronco plus suspension.

Thanks in Advance

Eric :toothless :beer

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Common rust areas on Broncos are the bottom-center of the tailgate, fender wells, roofline above the doors. If the top was ever off, there may be cracks in the seams on the cab, too. As for online parts sources, look for 80-96 Ford pick-ups. These models as well as the Bronco are interchangeable, but items are limited!

·
Super Moderator
24,637 Posts
yo Blue,
Great advice and may I add:
Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:
- oil pan rust - look for paint bubbles
- radiator plastic side seam leaks esp. during engine cool-down period/overnight
- auto tranny and transfer case operation - electric push button motor/connector is a prob. area
- auto hub operation (get it in sand or mud and try the 4x4 system) or try the marking the driveshaft (front) and see if it turns in 4x4
- radius arm bushing deterioration
- cracked exhaust manifold/y etc.
and what he wrote:
- roof/gutter area cracks
- rust in inner rear fender lips and bottom of tailgate (our fender lips was rusting due to beach sand wearing the paint)

See if you can get it to a mechanic for a compression check, and other inspections if you don't diy; neglected vehicles are costly to repair, esp 4x4's.

I have a few bronco on-line stores' Links listed in my web site...below...I like Summit, then Jeg's, sometimes Whitney, LMC, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome guys :thumbup
and Thanks for all the needed advice on looking for that good bronco def gonna be handy
Well im sure im gonna learn alot as I have been searching this forum for the last few days.
I just cant wait till I buy the bronco its gonna be as exciting as when I got my mustang :toothless

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,683 Posts
:lolup So that explains it all........jk :D :D :D

Welcome to our Home BlueMustang, Now, dont forget to vote on a daily bases for "Top 4X4 Sites" and FOTM each Month.

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Registered
463 Posts
miesk5 said:
- auto hub operation (get it in sand or mud and try the 4x4 system) or try the marking the driveshaft (front) and see if it turns in 4x4
this is very cmmon in broncos. when i bought my 95 bronco, i took a friend & we went for a test drive, once i got to the corner i put it in 4wheel drive. when u make very sharp turns, u should feel the wheel pull harder than it did n 2wheel drive. if it feels the same, get out & as miesk5 said, look at the front driveshaft & slowly drive the truck a few feet. if its turning, the hubs are bad. the truck i was test driving had bad hubs. i took it back to the guys house & told him something was wrong with the 4 wheel drive, & it might cost a lot, & it might not. he droped the price $400 & i bought it. later i took it home & put on some $72 manual warn hubs. i felt kinda bad, but not to bad, he was a chevy guy.;)

& by the way, happy birhday miesk

·
College User
2,013 Posts
Welcome, once you have a Bronco you will what it is all about. It is like an addiction for most of us.

·
Super Moderator
24,637 Posts
Thanks SNIBB!
BTW, my PC blew out on my BD due to CD game that had some bad files..so I spent my BD without PC and WWW access!
It will take me 3 days to recover from this traumatic event.
:uhoh3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts