Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of a mechanic in Northwest Houston who has experience with Broncos? I'm happy with my mechanic when it comes to my wife's Tahoe or even my Truck, but these guys seem to know less about Broncos than me.

I'm an accident waiting to happen when it comes to repairs and one of the reasons for purchasing this toy was to slowly teach myself how to work on vehicles. I'm in a bind right now because of a new job and the recent addition of twins taking up all my time. I'm really looking for a network of local folks who don't mind answering questions from time to time.

Right now I need to find a mechanic that knows how to diagnoss a brake problem I'm having. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I can't help you with Houston, but what kind of brake problems are you having?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what the part is called but I refer to it as the hydraulic assembly. It is located behind the drivers side front wheel and seems to be connected to the booster. It has recently started leaking and that coincides with my ABS light coming on and breaks feeling mushy.
The limited reasearch I've done says that this seems to be more of a problem in Chevys. I imagine there is a gasket in there, but I haven't gotten brave enough to take it apart and look at it yet.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
how about some info on your truck? sounds like you're describing the caliper at the wheel, but its unlikely that would cause a mushy pedal. more likely would be the master cylinder, bolted to the brake booster,on the firewall. Where is it leaking from? The only gasket on the master cyl. is in the cap. Otherwise, it'll have to be replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 1993 Eddie Bauer 5.8L V8. I'm certainly no expert but I don't think this is the MC. I may try to take a picture of it tonight and post, but it seems like this has electrical components running into this housing. I assumed this had something to do with the rear ABS, but I'm not certain.

I think I'm going to have to post a picture since my knowledge in even explaining this thing is so limited. I appreciate y'alls help.

thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Where are you in NW Houston? Im up in Magnolia. As of a few weeks ago Im certified by Ford in Brakes.....

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Can you put your pedal all the way to the floor? If you lift the hood and listen to the MC while someone else pushes the brakes, can you hear any kind of leaky valve noise?

If so you need to replace the MC. Not expensive, just takes a few hours if you're doing it for the first time.

Any chance any of the Houston guys could go take a look at it, so we don't all bark up the wrong tree?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate y'alls responses and it sounds like there is a pretty good contingent of local enthusiats on this board which is very encouraging.

Guys I know it is not the MC. I'm vehicle stupid but I know what the MC looks like and this is not what is giving me problems. I can now see where fluid is slowly leaking onto the paneling? by the drivers side front tire. This piece can only be seen if you get on the ground and look up from in front of the tire. It is a silver box with some wiring and what looks to be brake lines coming out of it. I will certainly post a picture tomorrow.

By the way I live near the HP complex off 249 a little north of 1960 and south of Tomball. Maybe one of these days I'll take off my panties and hit some trails with some of you.

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bigbroncojeff-

You are just down the road from me (Cypresswood/Jones). You nailed it. My nanny's boyfriend is at our house right now dropping some stuff off and he took a look and although I could initially understand what he was saying in broken english your post confirms it.
You know anything about what it might cost to replace that booger? Have any idea of someone in our neck of the woods I could trust to work on this for me.

By the way do you have any plans to head out to the Rose Bowl?

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
BroncHorn said:
Bigbroncojeff-

You are just down the road from me (Cypresswood/Jones). You nailed it. My nanny's boyfriend is at our house right now dropping some stuff off and he took a look and although I could initially understand what he was saying in broken english your post confirms it.
You know anything about what it might cost to replace that booger? Have any idea of someone in our neck of the woods I could trust to work on this for me.

By the way do you have any plans to head out to the Rose Bowl?
afaik... all the abs crap is pretty expensive to have worked on.... depends on what it's leaking from maybe you could replace a seal yourself or whatnot where the brake lines go in....

rose bowlll!!!!! me and bonny will probably be at molly's the one at theissmail rt. and louetta acrros from the post office... nice little pub with hard tip darts.... they have cheap pitchers of beer ($5) and good food... plus we are regulars there.... we're gonna be dressed in tons of burnt orange:chili:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I guess I'll get working on that after I get back from Pasadena. I don't want to break this one to the wife until after I've gotten to see the Horns win the NC. Appreciate the info.

Thanks and Hook'em

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the boards! Maybe you can meet up with Jeff and I one day and we can give it a look see. Doesnt sound to terribly hard to fix.

·
Registered
80 Posts
you could bring it to McKay's in the Woodlands (Budde rd and Sawdust)
That's where I work at. Just ask for Mac.

Chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
Get it fixed? Im just a little ways north of Tomball in Magnolia. I pass down that way almost every day. How big is the box thing you are talking about? I can pull up Ford service manuals for it from the Ford Tech Service Website, if need be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts