Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on ride in a car last week first time I had been in a vehicle with the juice. It isn't a radical car at all but when you put the 100 hp bottle to it that really woke it up. So I can't get away from it I have been thinking of doing it on my bronco. I run alot on the dunes, mud and snow when it falls no rocks. I can see how it would help alot on the sand. My M motor has a couple hundred miles on it not much more than edelbrock intake 625 carter, mild cam and exhaust work. Who has put NOS on these motors and what kind of input do you have.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Well, I am no expert here but I have researched it and I have a kit in the shop for mine too, if you do it don't be surprised if you grenade it !, the main problem is the pistons, they are cast and you can blow a hole in them, forged pistons hold up to the abuse better, what you are doing is increasing the volatility of the combustion process, more BANG for your buck, so any worn parts like rings, bearings rods etc can fail too, start out small with a 50 horsepower shot jet and work up from there , don't go over 100, you might be able to get 150??? but that's pushing it, and like I said, don't get excited if you break it and need to rebuild

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
adding 150 Hp to a stockish M-block mean a total of maybe 200 RWHP at best (maybe 300 flywheel). Don't think the pistons are that weak.........
Now if you run it lean, thats a whole nuther story...........

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
NAWWWWSS!!! God I hate hearing that.

I assume you mean Nitrous oxide? Because NOS is a brand name of a kit.

I wouldnt run anything over 50% of your engines hp rating.. So if your M motor makes 150hp I would not run anything over a 75hp kit. Sure you may be able to but you can always run a 50 or 75 safely.This is just my opinion though but I spent many of hours installing these kits back in the late 90's and 00's .My 93 Stang in my sig is currently and safely running a 150 shot. I can run a 200 but its not really necessary, the 150 shot breaks loose any tire I put back there, even an ET street

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts
I have been into nitrous for a year or so on my stang. Here's the scoop I get from the pros. For every 50 hp you add you need to pull 2* of timing, i pulled 4 to be safe. Keep the engine rich when spraying is the key. I've ran a few bottles through my 120,xxx mile 4.6 with no problems. Custom tunes are a godsend! Not sure what you're looking at but NOS has a Sniper kit for carbed motors that is cheap as hell and looks to be good stuff! This is the same kit i used only it was for EFI. I might add that it installs in no time, took me like 3 hrs.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BT93 that is is the excact kit I'm looking at, I haven't heard about the timing * what do you mean by pull 2* for every 50 hp. Does that mean advance it 2*. Is any one running an aftermarket fuel pump with "Nitrous Oxide" I'm glad you could figure out what I was talking about ****** since I am looking at a NOS kit is it ok to call it NOS now. I've read you need a higher volume pump to keep up with the added fuel jets.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
BT93 that is is the excact kit I'm looking at, I haven't heard about the timing * what do you mean by pull 2* for every 50 hp. Does that mean advance it 2*. Is any one running an aftermarket fuel pump with "Nitrous Oxide" I'm glad you could figure out what I was talking about ****** since I am looking at a NOS kit is it ok to call it NOS now. I've read you need a higher volume pump to keep up with the added fuel jets.
NOS is a great brand, been around forever and their dry kits are super simple to use and can make decent power with. I have a Nitrous express kit on mine and love it!

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts
I had to add a edlebrock hi vol pump for safety purposes. It doesn't matter what it costs just as long as it helps you from producing lean condition. Yes retard your timing at least 2* for every 50 hp shot you add. I wouldn't suggest more that a 100 shot. I run 100s and 125s depending on how the track is. Be CERTAIN you purchase a wet kit!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so I plan on running a 100 hp shot with the wet kit. I hear you need to maintain a min of 4lbs fuel pressure at all times. Thats why I was wondering if there was a high volume manual pump for the M motor. Even if I don't have the Nitrous on all the time do I still want to retard my timing?

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know I found a manual pump by holley min 8lbs of fuel pressure at 90GPH. I like the reliabilty of a manual pump has anybody heard or ran this pump my cost is $89 a little more than the electric but easier to install. Do you think I will need to upgrade my fuel lines to 3/8 this pump comes with pipe thread so I can put whatever size fuel line on it.

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts
You know I found a manual pump by holley min 8lbs of fuel pressure at 90GPH. I like the reliabilty of a manual pump has anybody heard or ran this pump my cost is $89 a little more than the electric but easier to install. Do you think I will need to upgrade my fuel lines to 3/8 this pump comes with pipe thread so I can put whatever size fuel line on it.
I wouldn't think it'd be necessary in your case.

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Bad idea. Aside from the fact that you'll most likely spin a bearing, drop a valve or loose a couple rockers on you're stock motor, these are'nt high revving motors anyway. Im a firm believer of making "real" power first and using the "juice" as a last resort (never had to). That being said, I would build it up a little more before you start pushing its limits.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My goal is not to push the limits and I don't want to over rev. I picture more power to get up a big dune with out losing any driveability, don't get me wrong my motor runs great but we know sand is a huge power robber. Right now I'm a few ponies away from holding 2nd up some big dunes. I don't think it will rev out much more just give me power to not lose RPM's. That's why I'm asking, to see if anyone has fourwheeled this setup with Nitrous, High Horse have you ran Nitrous on an M block with any luck.

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts
You cant spray at under 2500 rpms

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
High Horse have you ran Nitrous on an M block with any luck.
Not me personally, but my buddy has in his mud truck when the motor was fresh with the stock bottom and heads. It was a fogger system with a 125hp jet. He only used it a half dozen times before the 351m dropped a valve, punched a hole in the piston and bent the rod. Now this was during a mud bog and I'm sure the motor was taching around 6-6.5k. Its a little worse of a case compaired to what you want to do, I'm just saying be carefull.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good stuff to know, I'm not set on it yet but I would like to run it. BT93 you cant use it under 2500 RPM, do you know why not or does the motor just not take it well. The car I rode in he set up a foot pedal and he pops it at idle no load no accelerator pedal and the thing hits 5 grand instantly. Is this just because there is know load. I planned on setting if for almost WOT so I can control when it hits. But I don't want to be looking at my tach everytime before I use it.

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts
Ok the reason for not spraying below 25 is it could potentially backfire through the intake and blow the upper intake smooth off! While blowing splugs out of the cylinders. ONLY spray under a load! No if ands or buts about it! make WOT not almost, the reson for this is you know your tranny downshifted before the spray so as not to lug the engine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.