Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
460 only has 5,000 mi. on it. When it warms up(180deg) the most pressure I get is 28#'s. The pressure max's out at 1500 rpm. After that it doesn't matter how high it rev's the oil pressure stays at 28#'s. Don't I need 10#'s for every 1000 rpm? Why don't I have it? Everybody else does.:shrug

·
Registered
677 Posts
yeah about 10lbs per 100 rpms is the general rule. try pulling the pan to see if the screen is clogged if not why your in there may want to replace the pump there not that much.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The screen's not clogged I already checked that... might be putting a pump on though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Leonard said:
yeah about 10lbs per 100 rpms is the general rule. try pulling the pan to see if the screen is clogged if not why your in there may want to replace the pump there not that much.
i think you mean 10lbs per 1000rpm

but back to your question, you should have more like 50-60psi while running at or above 2000rpm, at idle more like 20-30psi. I would definetly look in to.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What weight oil are you running? What kind of oil pump are you running? Theres a good chance that you could have cracked an oil pump houseing or pickup tube and it could be suckin air along with oil. Have you double checked this reading with another oil pressure gauge?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Tunedup said:
What weight oil are you running?

that brings up a valid point. when I broke my engine in. 30 wt was not enough. even 10w40 was too thin. I have to use 20w50 other wise I loose all the op @ idle. currently I run @ 25-30 psi @ idle hot, 50-65 @ 2000 and up. cold start ups are @ 80psi. Stock pump in a 400.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Mine runs the same as jopes. I tried 10w40 for the winter cause the 20w50 is hard to start when cold and once it got hot I could only get 25-30#s max and 5-10 at idle.

Mines a high volume pump in my 460

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:mad: :banghead :cry :brownbag I have good news and bad news. The good news is when I changed my oil w/20w50 synthetic my oil pressure increased to 43#'s max hot. The bad news is that when I cut open my old filter I found LOTS of silver dust along with a little copper in the filter. And some pieces of steel were jammed in the oil filter check valve spring. These pieces are in theory, either valve seal clip or oil control ring. I'm pulling the pan tomorrow:banghead. This motor only has 6,000mi on it! Question. In order for the pieces of metal to get into the oil filter they had to pass through the oil pump right? Pump is a Melling high volume. The theory is that with my low oil pressure at high rpm's and the front sump oil pan has combined to wipe out my bearings. Throw a valve seal into the mix also b/c I have a little bit of smoke at start-up.:banghead Which would explain the pieces of metal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts