Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a freind of mines 93 chevy 1-ton truck has been popping out of the exsaust for a while after he ran it out of water once...i told him to bring it buy and let me tinker with it....

after replacing the distributer and fuel pump,..and new exsaust...i came across the idea for maybe a bad exsaust valve (its a 454 c.i.)...i pulled the passeger head and on the # 8 cyl exsaust the valve was pure white...

all the other valves look black...i took a flashlight and shined it undernieth the valve and saw a small hair of light...

im sure this is my culprit but wanna check with you guys before deciding to pull the other head off...

what do you all think???

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
it is a issue but you might have issues with the other head too. bad things happen when you over heat a motor. you can do a leak down test and it will let you know if the valves are good or bad ( a compression test does not always show the condition of valves). so you can do a leak down test with the head on to see if it is good or needs to be pulled....mike

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
Sure his manifold donuts haven't burnt out ?

When most Chevies start backfiring and sounding like beaters (the beaters they are), it's usually because of an exhaust leak upstream of the muffler.

More often than not it's those donuts between the exhaust manifolds and the Y-pipe.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kf4amu said:
Why new FP/Exhaust/dizzy?

-Will
was told it would backfire like that due to loss of fuel pressure,...so replaced pump....also replaced the cat becouse it was old and nasty,...and decided to replace the whole system,....was also told the dizzy's get worn quick on the chevys,...so i replaced that as well....

im pretty sure the #8 cyl valve is toast,...but im gunna pull the other head as well....

or else ill just be having an extra head gasket laying around...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts