Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i'm probably the noobiest.... Im 17, i had bought a 74 bronco in great shape but... black ice tree ---looong story---- i now have a 93 Bronco

It had been sitting for about 4 years, but was in great shape . high ish miles but both engine and tranny were rebuilt about 30,000 ago. Anyway. It runs fine on starter fluid... so it is getting spark but doesn't want to run otherwise. Acts like it isnt getting gas. We THINK we can hear the fuel pump come on every once in awhile but maybe not. Where should i start... fuel pump? or is there some bugger fuse able link or odd fuse box i should check? The guy had also said that it would heat up (NOT overheat) and die for awhile until it cooled down again. so... ?

i know how broad these questions are but... just get me started :)

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,097 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Start first by getting a fuel pressure gage and testing the fuel pressure. That should be first and foremost.

Then report back with your numbers :thumbup

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yours sounds very similar to an issue I had that turned out to be the in-line fuel pump. But don't just throw a new pump on yours hoping that's the fix. Like Sackman said, check your pressure and go from there. The kind folk here will help you diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree with the above posts in regards to diagnosing the problem first. My 94 Bronco sat idle for 8 years. Lots of things can go wrong with a vehicle that sits for a long time. It ran great when I parked it. First I removed spark plugs and fogged cylinders with oil and hand cranked engine over to see if it was not seized and still viable...it was! I then had my fuel tank dropped and old gas cleaned out and tank checked for rust and any problems, all the lines cleaned and cleared, fuel filter changed and my fuel pump was found to have packed it in so it was replaced. It runs great now. The fuel gauge was fluttering for a week and not reading correctly but it has settled in now and is functioning well. I guess the new fuel in the tank and motion of the vehicle lubed the float up and it is working now!? Good luck with your Bronco :thumbup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a mechanic coming out to HELP me look at it today, we are guessing fuel pump obviously. Just not sure which one or what part i guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys. It IS a fuel pump, and sending unit....

The gas gauge is pegged and pump is bad.

Is the 89 fuel set up the same as a 93?

or can i not steal this sweet deal of a 89 pump and sending unit together for $50....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts