Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Auburn Pro Series LSD put in my truck a few days ago, and after a full day of driving on it, I can honestly say I was very unhappy. It locked up twice around a corner just coasting, and in the sand, only drove one wheel trying to climb a hill even with giving a little bit of brake. Could there be something the guy who put it in didn't do right that would cause it specfically to do that, or could it have been defective or something?? I'm just a little upset that it acted the way it did after reading a lot of happy people's comments about it.

Had it pulled and a Detroit locker put in instead. Getting it back tomorrow, so I'll let ya know how it goes. I just want to know what the heck went wrong for it to lock up the way it did, and not behave like it should have. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is sort of a highjack, but I found this video interesting. It's an add from richmond gears demonstrating the difference between ls, open, and no slip.

enjoy

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Bronco4Life said:
I had the Auburn Pro Series LSD put in my truck a few days ago, and after a full day of driving on it, I can honestly say I was very unhappy. It locked up twice around a corner just coasting, and in the sand, only drove one wheel trying to climb a hill even with giving a little bit of brake. Could there be something the guy who put it in didn't do right that would cause it specfically to do that, or could it have been defective or something?? I'm just a little upset that it acted the way it did after reading a lot of happy people's comments about it.

Had it pulled and a Detroit locker put in instead. Getting it back tomorrow, so I'll let ya know how it goes. I just want to know what the heck went wrong for it to lock up the way it did, and not behave like it should have. Anyone got any ideas?
Not sure why it would lock up in a corner, but only driving one wheel is normal for a limited slip. Sure, they'll power both wheels better than an open diff, but they are NOT a locker. An LSD will only compensate when traction is pretty similar between the wheels, or very limited torque is applied so that the friction in the cones or clutches is not overcome.

Just so you're aware, if you apply power in a corner with the Detroit, it will also lock. Auto lockers depend on the application of power to lock, and they'll do so any time enough power is applied. Plan to spend a week or so getting used to the Detroit and don't freak out when it bangs like you broke an axle. Any time the teeth are not fully engaged and you apply power, even if it's only after changing lanes, they can bang hard enough to jerk the truck around rather violently. It's just the locker's way of saying "I'm here and ready to do the job!!!"

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Exactly on the auto locker part, mine is most noticable in parkings lots just doing small turns and stuff, but i think i also notice more since i have a manual tranny and it doesn't absord everything as well.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
That bangin you speak of is funny too, to watch the look on someone else's face whether they are riding with you or in the car next to you with the window down...it will make you jump once or twice at first but then its old habbit.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, thats what I heard about the Detroits, they bang pretty hard when they lock.

For the Auburn, still when I was in the sand and gave it a little brake, it should have driven both wheels though right? I thought I remembered reading that in a thread on here about wheeling with a LSD. I definitely want to say it was defective or the mechanic did something wrong, because when it locked up going around a corner I knew something was wrong. It was a pretty rough feeling too.

Can't wait for my buddy to get done with the locker, I'm really anxious to play with it in the snow (if we get any this weekend)

And as for the spool, I like the ability to not chip the tires EVERY time I go around a corner :thumbup

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
you will still chirp with a auto locker, mine does it unless i coast all the way around the corner, no acel at all

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, got the Detroit in and had a full day to play with it with the roads wet, and no ice/snow yet. I couldn't be happier with it. I know when its going to engauge, when its going to clunk, and when it will chirp the tires.

And I was really surprised, the first time it clunked, I could barely hear it. It made a louder one later when starting off in a turn, but it wasn't anything near what I was expecting... I was expecting to drop a load in my pants the first time I heard it do it.

Definitely worth it. And I can't wait for it to start snowing tomorrow, I'm definitely gonna head out to the school parking lot and play.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Bronco4Life said:
Yeah, thats what I heard about the Detroits, they bang pretty hard when they lock.

For the Auburn, still when I was in the sand and gave it a little brake, it should have driven both wheels though right? I thought I remembered reading that in a thread on here about wheeling with a LSD. I definitely want to say it was defective or the mechanic did something wrong, because when it locked up going around a corner I knew something was wrong. It was a pretty rough feeling too.

Can't wait for my buddy to get done with the locker, I'm really anxious to play with it in the snow (if we get any this weekend)

And as for the spool, I like the ability to not chip the tires EVERY time I go around a corner :thumbup

No they don't (Detroit banging hard when they lock). They will only occasionally do this, surprising me even though I know to expect it every now and then. It really is about how you drive. It is very rare I get the loud clunk from nowhere anymore. You will, however, have a life of pulling each time you give it gas/come off the gas around corners (like driving winding roads).

And I was really surprised, the first time it clunked, I could barely hear it. It made a louder one later when starting off in a turn, but it wasn't anything near what I was expecting... I was expecting to drop a load in my pants the first time I heard it do it.

Just wait, it will scare the crap out of you sooner or later...it will sound like something might have broke in the rear. But as stated above, this can be mostly eliminated...it's rare this happens to me anymore.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, just got back from making a grocery run ( i swear it wont become a grocery getter :uhoh3 ) and it did it. Scared me shitless, pulled over right away, nothing sounded wrong, pulled into the dirt on the side of the road and gassed it for a second. Two nice skids of equal length, so everything seemed alright. Drove home and as I was pulling into my neighborhood, it did it again.

Guess I'm gonna have to change my driving style a little. Couldn't be happier with it though... I made it through two deep ruts that I've gotten stuck in before pretty easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts